Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2023, 12:51 PM

Default M-track plus not showing as I/O in Studio

I just upgraded my computer/OS and upgraded from Pro Tools Express to Pro Tools Studio subscription.

iMac 2023 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Sonoma 14.2.1
M-AUDIO M-TRACK PLUS
Pro Tools Studio (subscription)
Version: 2023.12.0

I used the M-Track Plus successfully with Express. When I updated Pro Tools, I assigned the M-Track Plus as my playback engine, and it shows up when I run Hardware Configure. But it does not show up as an I/O option for recording audio/instrument tracks. The M-Track shows as an I/O option on MIDI tracks, and MIDI tracks record and playback fine. Any ideas on how to map to audio I/O?

Last edited by kevingalley; 12-29-2023 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Didn't state problem in title
Old 12-30-2023, 07:55 AM

Default Re: M-track plus not showing as I/O in Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingalley View Post
I just upgraded my computer/OS and upgraded from Pro Tools Express to Pro Tools Studio subscription.

iMac 2023 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Sonoma 14.2.1
M-AUDIO M-TRACK PLUS
Pro Tools Studio (subscription)
Version: 2023.12.0

I used the M-Track Plus successfully with Express. When I updated Pro Tools, I assigned the M-Track Plus as my playback engine, and it shows up when I run Hardware Configure. But it does not show up as an I/O option for recording audio/instrument tracks. The M-Track shows as an I/O option on MIDI tracks, and MIDI tracks record and playback fine. Any ideas on how to map to audio I/O?
Hmmm, go to Setup>IO>Input tab and hit the Default button(repeat for output). Have you looked for an updated driver for the interface? Can you roll back the OS update?(not sure going to Sonoma was a good move, but I'm a Windows guy)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2023, 12:24 PM

Actually you should default inputs, outputs and busses and on busses make sure you default internal and external busses. Those external busses are what most people actually think of as outputs.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:57 PM

Thank you both for the feedback. All things I've tried. The problem is Pro Tools doesn't recognize the M-Track Plus as an input or output device in the I/O setup menu (any longer). Since the M-Track is an old (>10 yrs) interface there doesn't seem to be support within the software. M-Audio interfaces are class-compliant on Mac so there are no additional drivers.

I was able to find a workaround. I imported a setup configuration from a previous session I did in Express where the interface was recognized, and was able to setup a Pro Tools Aggregate Device using those settings. I now load that in as the input on a recording track.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Kevin
Old 12-30-2023, 06:31 PM

Something is broken here if you have the correct playback engine selected and defaulting all the IO does not work. And regardless of the exact names that show up after defaulting the IO, the interface will work... and you can always just edit those names in the IO setup pages... they are just there as convenience to you, the user. All actual input/output done by Pro Tools is done to the interface by I/O port number.

Does the interface show up as seperate input and output devices... if so that is the problem... did it had a driver before that addressed this (even with the box being class compliant).

Great you got it working.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:50 PM

Yes agree something's not right. Might be a Sonoma issue? I originally bought a Mac mini studio setup from GC with all the software preloaded so there might have been a driver in there somewhere. On the M-Audio website there are no drivers listed for their legacy interfaces. I'll probably break down and buy a new interface soon. Any recommendations?
Old 12-30-2023, 07:02 PM

Does the interface show up as seperate input and output devices... if so that is the problem... did it had a driver before that addressed this (even with the box being class compliant).

Yes I believe it does. When I launch the Setup App in Hardware Setup it is listed as M-Track Plus 1 and M-Track Plus 2 with one showing 2 inputs and 1 showing 2 outputs. I'd include a screenshot but not sure how to do that here.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:26 PM

Yep OK that's the problem, as you found you do need to aggregate it if you want outputs and inputs ... and then with the aggregate as the playback engine you should be able to default the I/O (input, output *and* bus). And sometimes if the previous I/O labels were different you may want to delete those in the I/O pages (do that first then default those pages).

This is not something that can ever really manage to not be usable. When you default the I/O for the aggregate you'll get Core Audio passing though some default names for the I/O ports. They may not be the exact names that were there before but you will have something, and if you don't like the default names you can edit them. Again nothing to do with the name of an I/O port stops something working.

But one problem can be the aggregate is another layer of cruft on top of what is already just generic class compliant audio performance, but with only two channels each way and maybe without a strong low-latency monitoring need in the DAW this is hopefully not a problem. Do make sure you click drift correction in both items in the aggregate, and uncheck "ignore errors" in the playback engine... you want to know about errors not have it trash your audio.

---

As for other interfaces, there are so many nice interfaces from RME, UAD, Apogee, Motu, Focusrite, Presonus, etc. Sadly M-Audio was/is an experiment in producing low-cost/low quality products and I'd try to avoid anything from them. And folks like Focusrite seem able to make low-cost but better quality and better supported products (as well as some relatively high end products). My personal bias is to RME as a vendor. They provide really great technical and long-term customer support and the technical quality of their USB drivers is amazing ... very low latency, rock solid stability etc. And most of their interfaces also support a class compliance mode for less demanding needs so you can easily use as an interface with an iPad or iPhone, and if RME got hit by a bus tomorrow their interfaces will keep being usable via class compliance. And they have very nice convertors and preamp etc. but this comes at some price.

Their low-end/portable interface: https://www.rme-usa.com/babyface-pro.html

Or if you want more expansion... https://www.rme-usa.com/fireface-ucx-ii.html

Spend some time looking at Sweetwater or Vintage King web sites and what interfaces are available and if you have specific questions ask their sales reps or ask them on DUC, include your connectivity needs and budget and anything else relevent. Lots of folks here can help with recommendations.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-30-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:09 PM

Thank you very much Darryl, appreciate the help and the suggestions. Happy New Year!

Kevin