Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Track Presets

I know I'm a bit late to this party but I found out about this hack or undocumented feature and made a video describing it.

Click Here!!!!

It's free and it's under Sample Videos.

Enjoy.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Track Presets

It really is very strange indeed, that the only reason this "hack" exists at all, is because it is an actual feature in Pro Tools Express (and of course all contemporary versions of PT share the same code).

Why Avid have thus far deemed this feature only of use to beginners, and failed to see the increased benefits it offers professionals, is baffling.

Hopefully it will be fully implemented in the next feature packed release of Pro Tools.

In the mean time, you've really taken the basic track preset idea, and run with it, to the point it almost makes Import Session Data a redundant feature (almost...).

Great job!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM

I still use "Import Tracks" for situations where I want to import settings of previous tracks onto existing ones.

But for creating new tracks, track presets make more sense.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Hey Kenny... this is certainly an awesome easter egg. FYI "Export Selected Tracks as New Session" does exist in Pro Tools 10. :) Use it every day. Thanks for the video!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:13 PM

I haven't tried it yet myself, but with your Reversed Cymbal example, if you were to have any automation on the track when you created the template, would that automation still be present when you called up the preset?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Hey Kenny... this is certainly an awesome easter egg. FYI "Export Selected Tracks as New Session" does exist in Pro Tools 10. :) Use it every day. Thanks for the video!
Yeah. I realized that after it was already finalized and uploaded. Ooops.

I made a video on it in Pro Tools 11 Tips and Tricks forgetting that some of those tips were for 10.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I haven't tried it yet myself, but with your Reversed Cymbal example, if you were to have any automation on the track when you created the template, would that automation still be present when you called up the preset?
I would bet that it would being that everything else is.

I would just delete automation before saving it as a template.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

I would just delete automation before saving it as a template.

I was actually thinking that it would be really beneficial, and quite a powerful feature (in both music, and film post) if it were included.

Brings a whole new dimension of functionality to region groups, which means you can have all sorts of things like VI's / Drum sequences / Sound Effects, with automation (which of course can be a critical component of how a complex, layered sound effect / music loop is created), ready to be imported in an instant, and with "automation follows edit" enabled, easily put to good use throughout the session.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I was actually thinking that it would be really beneficial, and quite a powerful feature (in both music, and film post) if it were included.

Brings a whole new dimension of functionality to region groups, which means you can have all sorts of things like VI's / Drum sequences / Sound Effects, with automation (which of course can be a critical component of how a complex, layered sound effect / music loop is created), ready to be imported in an instant, and with "automation follows edit" enabled, easily put to good use throughout the session.

Cheers!
Oh. OK. I thought you didn't want it. But yeah, if it makes the effect work then by all means, keep the automation in there.

It's a great idea to layer many tracks to create an effect and be able to bring it in to other projects with everything in tact.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I know I'm a bit late to this party but I found out about this hack or undocumented feature and made a video describing it.

Click Here!!!!

It's free and it's under Sample Videos.

Enjoy.
I'd like to mention that I created an AppleScript some time ago that automates the whole process of creating a track preset. I shared it with a few beta buddies only so far but am in the middle of creating an Automator Service of it.

If there is any demand for this, let me know. Its Mac only though.

Oliver