Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 AM

Default Haswell technical question for Avid

So in preparing for opening my first commercial studio, I'm planning on doing a new computer build, upgrading from a Sandy Bridge 2600k to one of the new Haswell systems as soon as they're qualified and they start shipping motherboards with Thunderbolt. I'm going to be using an Apollo 16, so I'll have outboard dsp processing as well. The tech question I have for Avid developers is this : the only multiplier-unlocked SKU does not support the new Intel Transactional Memory Extensions, and it'd be great to know if Avid plans to support this feature in a future update to Pro Tools, and which may be my better option : locked multiplier with TSX or an unlocked processor I can over clock. I value a stable and quiet system, so I'm leaning towards the processor with TSX extensions, but Avid chiming in would help me in my buying decision.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Haswell technical question for Avid

I had wrestled this myself and since Haswell will likely have the usual issues plan on Haswell perfection in about 6 months. I went with my gut for my A portable rig and got the Retina MBP with 2.8ghz ivy bridge this week. Got it up and running and this thing SMOKES with multiple VI's, big sessions (I am a solo artist). Something to also ponder.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM

I'm not speaking for Avid here. Purely speculative on my part.

Any Haswell specific support for stuff like TSX would more than likely be in the next version of Pro Tools. Whether or not the new Mac Pro or future iMacs ship with a TSX enabled processor probably will have the largest bearing on this.

I'm not saying it wont happen. Just that I wouldn't base my CPU choice on a technology that is just launching as we speak.

I would be suprised if Avid would comment on this at this point. Good question for Dave Trembly though.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I'm not speaking for Avid here. Purely speculative on my part.

Any Haswell specific support for stuff like TSX would more than likely be in the next version of Pro Tools. Whether or not the new Mac Pro or future iMacs ship with a TSX enabled processor probably will have the largest bearing on this.

I'm not saying it wont happen. Just that I wouldn't base my CPU choice on a technology that is just launching as we speak.

I would be suprised if Avid would comment on this at this point. Good question for Dave Trembly though.
I will be curious on its performance. Looking at the specs, its not impressive whatsoever. obviously we dont really know at this point though.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM

My 2 cents....got an email from TigerDirect and did some reading. One of the things they are touting the "loudest" is the integrated graphics. While that may make a lot of sense for many users, I am unconvinced with Pro Tools, especially given the spotty results with the Ivybridge builds. My eyes(and ears) will remain open, but I still lean toward socket 2011/x79 builds I am a bit stunned by the sheer number of 1155 rigs with issues, while 1366 and 2011 builds seem to fare better(or is it just my imagination)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My 2 cents....got an email from TigerDirect and did some reading. One of the things they are touting the "loudest" is the integrated graphics. While that may make a lot of sense for many users, I am unconvinced with Pro Tools, especially given the spotty results with the Ivybridge builds. My eyes(and ears) will remain open, but I still lean toward socket 2011/x79 builds I am a bit stunned by the sheer number of 1155 rigs with issues, while 1366 and 2011 builds seem to fare better(or is it just my imagination)
Also significantly lower power consumption.

That has been a spotty socket for PT builds. Even more so when you compare it with 1366 or 2011 socket builds that have almost perfect track records.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-02-2013, 04:05 PM

I have been working all day with my MBP Retina and have had zero issues. CPU is nice and low; and again, very noticeably fast. I am also using this computer for premiere pro for video editing; I have to both record and film "on the go" and this rig is also big for that. I checked it with a soundscore with video today (a show I did last year) and this is where it shined the best.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Also significantly lower power consumption.

That has been a spotty socket for PT builds. Even more so when you compare it with 1366 or 2011 socket builds that have almost perfect track records.

Back in the day there would be one build that the users hammered out and then everyone would adhere to that. These days many of the builds are a mismash of parts bought on sale with no thought given to manufacterer or things like BIOS revision, drivers etc.

Haswell is almost entirely about power states. Any performance increases are incremental at best. This is a Ultrabook, A-I-O, Laptop chip at its core. the OEMs will be using it in desktops for refreshing their lineups and so they can claim to be cutting edge. but other than the GT3 Graphics that only a few SKUs are getting there not going to be a compelling reason to upgrade IMHO. At least in the workstation sector.

The OP might be far better served by building a highend socket 2011 system.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there any thunderbolt support with socket 2011 or 1366? I'm planning on running Apollo 16s with thunderbolt so that's a definite requirement for me.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Is there any thunderbolt support with socket 2011 or 1366? I'm planning on running Apollo 16s with thunderbolt so that's a definite requirement for me.
Looked at the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH? It's a socket 1155 but it smokes. (in a good way).
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!