Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Breaking automation points in one session

Hello all! I'm hoping someone here can answer a question for me. I've tried searching all over the net and reading the manual and can't find an answer.

I mostly use Pro Tools to multitrack bands live. I do the whole night in one session. What I'd like to do is go through the session, and setup a "default" mix. If I go into the first song and begin automating say, the guitar, then for the rest of the session, the track reads the automation point and no longer allows me to freely move the fader. Unless I put the track into off mode, or non read.

I'm curious if there's a way to set a marker, say at the beginning and end of each song, which will also separate any automation points in between. Or if there is a setting where the "read" of automation only takes place if automation has been written.

So I go from song to song, making whatever automation changes I want to my "default mix". The only other way I see, is that i have to sit and write the default automation through every song, sometimes not requiring any changes.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help you can give me. Take care.

Chris
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Breaking automation points in one session

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscst22 View Post
Hello all! I'm hoping someone here can answer a question for me. I've tried searching all over the net and reading the manual and can't find an answer.

I mostly use Pro Tools to multitrack bands live. I do the whole night in one session. What I'd like to do is go through the session, and setup a "default" mix. If I go into the first song and begin automating say, the guitar, then for the rest of the session, the track reads the automation point and no longer allows me to freely move the fader. Unless I put the track into off mode, or non read.

I'm curious if there's a way to set a marker, say at the beginning and end of each song, which will also separate any automation points in between. Or if there is a setting where the "read" of automation only takes place if automation has been written.

So I go from song to song, making whatever automation changes I want to my "default mix". The only other way I see, is that i have to sit and write the default automation through every song, sometimes not requiring any changes.

Chris
Hi,

Best way to do it is after you've mixed the first song, save it titled as the song name so you can recall it if tweaks are needed etc. then delete all automation so you can build the mix for the next song. (Delete all automation is just several clicks and done!!) after song 2 is mixed, save and onto song 3.

Having all songs mixed in the same session can be done using the trim function but if you want totally free faders when you start each song you'll need to delete automation!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Best way to do it is after you've mixed the first song, save it titled as the song name so you can recall it if tweaks are needed etc. then delete all automation so you can build the mix for the next song. (Delete all automation is just several clicks and done!!) after song 2 is mixed, save and onto song 3.

Having all songs mixed in the same session can be done using the trim function but if you want totally free faders when you start each song you'll need to delete automation!

Chris
Thanks for the response Chris. That's fine and may be the only way to do it. I had thought about it. I wanted to avoid having to save and create individual session files per song because I typically bounce down the whole show at once. That way I can leave it for the 2+ hours and go do other things. Having to bounce down each session individually would mean I'd have to babysit it.

In case your wondering, I typically take the entire bounce and load it into Waveburner. I apply Ozone over that mix, bounce it out as one file, then reload that into Waveburner again, apply a different mastering preset, and then cut up into tracks which I then burn to a CD or bounce as individual tracks.

Anyone else know of a different way to keep it in the same session?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response Chris. That's fine and may be the only way to do it. I had thought about it. I wanted to avoid having to save and create individual session files per song because I typically bounce down the whole show at once. That way I can leave it for the 2+ hours and go do other things. Having to bounce down each session individually would mean I'd have to babysit it.

In case your wondering, I typically take the entire bounce and load it into Waveburner. I apply Ozone over that mix, bounce it out as one file, then reload that into Waveburner again, apply a different mastering preset, and then cut up into tracks which I then burn to a CD or bounce as individual tracks.

Anyone else know of a different way to keep it in the same session?
Hi,

Well if you want to freely move the faders between each song then you'll have to bounce each song individually.

You could always RCD (record to disk instead of bounce to disk) onto a stereo track as you mix each song, then at the end consilidate and export that one track ready to master.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Chris
Check the suspending option of automation in the reference manual.

Basically - after you found your general mix - you can suspend all automation and move the faders as you wish. When you're finished you can then write this automation to that area/song.

Timothy