Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Blue screen on boot (YES I\'ve done my homework!)

I've read as much as I could on other people's IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN blue screen problems, but I don't know what would apply to me, since nothing's changed since it was working. I have a brand new AMD dual core 3800+ XP Pro SP2 system with 1 gb of ram, 1 SATA (system) drive and 2 IDE data drives. I've had for the past week a Pro Tools 6.4 001 system running on it fine, until in all my stupidity, downloaded the ASIO/wave drivers from this website, which apparently is a very bad thing. Since my computer blue screens (IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN etc) on boot. The kicker is that I have completely low-level formatted my system drive and reinstalled windows, and it still happens, even though Pro Tools was working fine before. Also, I've discovered that even now if I boot without the IDE harddrives connected, pro tools WILL work. Even stranger, with everything connected I can still install pro tools and run and use it all at once, as long as I don't reboot . . . I can't believe that there is a hardware issue or something since everything is now exactly the way it was when pro tools was working, except with a fresh system install . . .

I have the latest Pace drivers, DEP fix etc. Obviously I can't do a Standard PC install or else windows wont recognize my dual processors. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point except to possibly clear my IDE drives and reformat them as well, which would be a pain in the arse.

Thanks,
Devin
Old 08-28-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Blue screen on boot (YES I\'ve done my homework

Microsoft info

You might want to check those IDE drives for errors.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the ASIO and wavdriver are installed with the program install now, and don't require a separate install.

From the ASIO download page:
Quote:
If you have Pro Tools LE 6.4, 6.7, or 6.9 software installed, you should use the ASIO driver that can be installed as an option during Pro Tools LE installation.
and from the wavedriver download page:
Quote:
Note: Owners of Pro Tools TDM or LE software version 6.4, 6.7, or 6.9 can install the WaveDriver as an option during Pro Tools 6.4, 6.7, or 6.9 installation, using the box in the installer dialogue that is already checked by default. There is no need for Pro Tools 6.4, 6.7, or 6.9 users to download the WaveDriver from this page.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Blue screen on boot (YES I\'ve done my homework!)

Thanks for the reply. I know I shouldn't have downloaded those drivers . . . but what's done is done! But yes I will try looking at the IDE drives, in fact I'm backing them up to my SATA drive and zeroing them. Hope it works. But it won't boot with any combination of the two IDE drives, and I can't imagine both of them have errors all of a sudden.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Default SOLUTION!

If anyone else is having a similar problem, I found out what pro tools wasn't liking. Apparently if you're booting off of a SATA drive, and have IDE's as well, you can't have them be masters, which makes no sense to me, but there you go. I have 1 IDE drive on each IDE channel, and both were respective masters. After reformatting them both to no avail, I switched them both to slave, and now pro tools is working . . . so there you go! I've always thought that IDE master/slave only mattered to the drives on that bus? Was having them as masters bad in general? Or is this another case of Pro Tools just being stupid?