Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Waves Studiorack

PS you do need specific SG plugins actually and they are not bundled with the purchase of the hardware unless they have made some big change recently or are about to. But they should be! :). You can't run waves native on a soundgrid server without purchasing soundgrid licenses.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

I actually like the SG concept and would like to hear more ... but selling it to ME by talking about out of production hardware that i sold years ago (PT10, TDM, old Mac Pro, 192 etc..) is of no interest...

How these work with PT11 and current HD Native hardware is what I want to know!

- Offline bounce still work??
- What is the exact RTL latency of using this at 96kHz and 44.1
a) with HD Native Hardware
b) With AVID i/o and just DLS
- and what did you mean by "IF" it works at 96kHz??
- Are there fans in the units? Quiet enough for a tracking room?
- So price for me is $2700 + $2500 to "upgrade my plug ins to Soundgrid" really cheaper than HDX?? not by much yet
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
Great, thanks so much. I personally think they should be very aggressive with getting sound grid plugins into the hands of early adopters... kind of like the way UAD includes bundles with their hardware... but I'm no marketing expert and it doesn't even really affect me since I already have the bundle I would need anyway. But I would like to see waves make some waves with this product so to speak. I guess if their goal is post houses who haven't upgraded to HDX then price point is probably of smaller consideration as those folks likely have sound grid plugs already. They should keep in mind though that most (maybe all?) AAX DSP plugs now are a single purchase that gives you native and DSP if you happen to have an HDX card. Having the huge $ leap to sound grid from native might be a stretch for those that weren't accustomed to the TDM days. Maybe they should make the sound grid licenses cheaper! like hey if you get a digigrid setup everything is always 50% off... now there is a way to get people interested. new adopters of course means WUP every year hopefully so its already money in the bank. All the talk of hey you can get a native on sale and then upgrade it to sg after the fact to save money blah blah... a little too complicated.

I would love to see a detailed video of a simultaneous tracking / mixing workflow using it in SGP mode... and with the auto-input monitoring in play. using both SG plugs in studio rack as well as other different plugs within the session.
Hi StudioJ
these are the responses I got back:
Thank you for the questions , Please find the response .

Great, thanks so much. I personally think they should be very aggressive with getting sound grid plugins into the hands of early adopters... kind of like the way UAD includes bundles with their hardware... but I'm no marketing expert and it doesn't even really affect me since I already have the bundle I would need anyway. But I would like to see waves make some waves with this product so to speak. I guess if their goal is post houses who haven't upgraded to HDX then price point is probably of smaller consideration as those folks likely have sound grid plugs already. They should keep in mind though that most (maybe all?) AAX DSP plugs now are a single purchase that gives you native and DSP if you happen to have an HDX card. Having the huge $ leap to sound grid from native might be a stretch for those that weren't accustomed to the TDM days. Maybe they should make the sound grid licenses cheaper! like hey if you get a digigrid setup everything is always 50% off... now there is a way to get people interested. new adopters of course means WUP every year hopefully so its already money in the bank. All the talk of hey you can get a native on sale and then upgrade it to sg after the fact to save money blah blah... a little too complicated.

Waves will be providing a ongoing list of specials that are Sound Grid & Digigrid related, the DLS and DLI are the first products released for the studio under the Digigrid brand we are anticipating the IOS to be released next month .
The IOS has a $500 voucher attached to it allowing the purchase of Waves Sound Grid plugins,We are also planning several bundles where you would be able to purchase Digigrid with a Sound Grid server and a Waves bundle at special pricing.
We are fully aware of the ongoing need to provide favorable packages , allowing a one stop shop of hardware and software .
Last year we have provided all legacy TDM owners under WUP the license for Sound Grid and have lowered the Native vs Sound Grid price gap to half the value we were custom to during the Native –TDM years.
All the above is in order to enhance the capabilities of the Sound Grid brand and allow users to update , upgrade and purchase in a way that would suit their capabilities.

I would love to see a detailed video of a simultaneous tracking / mixing workflow using it in SGP mode... and with the auto-input monitoring in play. using both SG plugs in studio rack as well as other different plugs within the session.

We will be looking at the request and providing info asap.

I also think Waves should do some kind of white paper or demonstration on how simple it is to port to sound grid from other native formats if it is true... something like that would give users more confidence in pressuring their favorite 3rd party devs to explore the format.

The paper exists as a high level technical form available to 3rd party hardware and software developers that join the Sound Grid platform , with several developers now on board Yamaha, A&H ,Brainworks,Digico, Cadac,SM Pro to name a few we anticipate 3rd party companies would continue to join once the full product line is on the market .
For a overall view and video content related to Sound Grid please visit http://www.waves.com/soundgrid-systems
Old 08-17-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
PS you do need specific SG plugins actually and they are not bundled with the purchase of the hardware unless they have made some big change recently or are about to. But they should be! :). You can't run waves native on a soundgrid server without purchasing soundgrid licenses.
hi again. You don't need specific SG plugins. The usual plugs from Waves work with SoundGrid. What you need is the auth and you get the auth with the hardware. If you don't have the hardware the auth is no good anyway.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Waves Audio

Here is some info that should help clarify which plugin licenses are to be used with the DiGiGrid hardware.

Any Waves user that has a current Waves Update Plan can download the StudioRack plugin free of charge, and use it to run plugin chains and processing on the host computer's CPU. In order to take advantage of the SoundGrid DSP servers’ processing capabilities (which are also built into the DLS and IOS), you must have a SoundGrid License for both StudioRack and your plugins.

Every DiGiGrid I/O interface comes with the complete SoundGrid Studio System Software, including StudioRack SoundGrid, eMotion ST mixer, SoundGrid Studio Application and the SoundGrid ASIO / Core Audio driver. SoundGrid plugin licenses are not included and need to be purchased separately.

TDM license owners covered by the Waves Update Plan have been provided with SoundGrid licenses free of charge, and any DiGiGrid IOS purchase includes a $500 voucher for additional Waves plugins. There will also be upcoming specials on DiGiGrid and SoundGrid products.

www.waves.com

Waves Support and Sales – 865-909-9200

Join the Waves community online:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube

Checkout the new SoundGrid Studio System

Learn how to mix using Waves with the help of our Free Pro-Audio Tutorials
Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 AM

As mentioned earlier, does offline bounce work with DigiGrid?
Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
As mentioned earlier, does offline bounce work with DigiGrid?

I would guess no, but let us wait what Waves has to say. AFAIK, the Waves box is external hardware (to PT ecosystem) thus disables offline bounce.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves Audio View Post
TDM license owners covered by the Waves Update Plan have been provided with SoundGrid licenses free of charge, and any DiGiGrid IOS purchase includes a $500 voucher for additional Waves plugins. There will also be upcoming specials on DiGiGrid and SoundGrid products.
It is fascinating that as you "launch" the first two products aimed at this audience (DLS/DLI) it is with no vouchers - no plugins and no specials at all. Only for the as yet unavailable IOS. In the past few years Waves has had great specials on their plug ins - I expect this to extend but find it --- curious --- the strategy of having none of this at the get go...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
It is fascinating that as you "launch" the first two products aimed at this audience (DLS/DLI) it is with no vouchers - no plugins and no specials at all. Only for the as yet unavailable IOS. In the past few years Waves has had great specials on their plug ins - I expect this to extend but find it --- curious --- the strategy of having none of this at the get go...
I would guess they are initially targeting people with TDM licenses for whom they transferred soundgrid licenses to at no cost last year. That is probably a really huge market actually of folks who already have all the software in their account and don't need to purchase a thing plugin wise.

Thanks Waves and Bluemountain for all the info! much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 AM

I could try SoundGrid if someone at Waves sent a box for me free of charge. Pay for it? No way.