Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Amp Farm 3

I have an old license on my iLok for Line 6 Amp Farm 3, which I believe is TDM only, and I haven't used it in over a year since I moved from PT 8 HD Accel on a Mac, to Native card on a Windows PC. Maybe it's been since PT 7, don't remember.

But I am wondering if there is an upgrade path to a usable Native product that will run on PT 10 or PT 12.

I know there are other amp sim plug-ins, including those included with Pro Tools, but I always liked the tweakability of Amp Farm and wonder if there is an upgrade option.

Any ideas?

Media Man
Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Amp Farm 3

I've tried several other amp emulation software, but always miss line 6 sound and ease of use. (currently use Pod farm 2.5 via bluecat patchwork)

This is comming soon:

http://line6.com/helix-native/
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 AM

I was playing the Helix hardware this weekend. I am not a line 6 guitar sim fan, as they have always sounded fairly lifeless to me. The Helix sounded pretty good. Being able to load IR's into it is a huge perk! The delays and effects were killer. The abilities using a variax (like the acoustic sound) are really cool.

I have never quite understood the nostalgia some people had with amp farm. I was extremely happy to have a world with other sims. Recabinet is by far my favorite, but it is not "simple" per se' and uses 2 plugins, 1 for the amp and 1 for the cabinets. I think it might lend itself to guitarists or people that know there way around "real" amps. When I need fast, Eleven MarkII every time. I can dial in a useable guitar tone in seconds.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 AM

From Line6... I think you are going to have to wait for Helix Native. I'm not sure if they will offer an upgrade option for owners of Amp Farm, but you never know.

As for other software amp sims; a lot of people like S-Gear, which is fairly simple to use.

I like Amplitube IK-Multimedia. Maybe not the easiest interface, but there is plenty of amps to choose from, it sounds good and is being actively developed.

System Details
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I have never quite understood the nostalgia some people had with amp farm.
It's all about perception, right? One of my favorite uses of Amp Farm was for Lo-fi vocal effects. Perhaps the "lifeless sound" as you describe it, is why is was so special for that application.

No accounting for taste. I was just looking for an cost effective upgrade path. I have other guitar sims as well.

Media Man
Old 03-09-2017, 06:45 AM

Line 6 just ported Echo Farm to AAX, so maybe they will port Amp Farm too.

System Details