Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Default Control 24 Fader 9-16 stuck at max + +

Hi

1st post, and already asking for help.....

I bought a 2nd hand Control 24 the other day, with known defects. Got it cheap

I´m trying to find the problem, but need som advice and help. Hope some1 can get help me..

On power on, the faders clicks, and fader 9-16 immediate goes to the top, the rest resets to lowest position. When offline, faders 9-16 allways returns to top if manually forcing them to any other positions.

The "Scribble strips" is not showing any info, neither does the ch select button light up. I´ve checked the 3pin connector in the psu. Pressing utility works, but I cannot read any info, thus not possible to run any diagnostics.

Diode D5 in the cub board blinks. Anyone have any info on these diodes? there are 4 diodes on the cub board, I guess this is a diagnostics for the status of these leds...

I can connect to protools and use many of the features, transport, faders 1-8 + 17-14 (some faders are a bit "nervous")

The analogue section seem to work (not tested audio....ad I don´t plan to use audio through the console)

I´ve replaced C20 on the power supply, and measured all voltages (tho not under load)
EDIT: All voltages are correct when the unit is on. No voltage drops, so I guess the psu is ok...

The previos owner told me that a tech told him he had to replace 1 of three boards,,,,, I´m not sure what board this could be.....

Best regards
Ole Peder, Norway
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Control 24 Fader 9-16 stuck at max + +

Hi,

The whole board is cabled together with ribbon cables and push connections and they can easily come lose or not connect well.

I did a post re fixing jumping faders a while back which will give you an idea of how to clean and check all cables and connections etc. and also give the power supply a good clean on the connections.

If the power supply is a Skynet one you can send it to skynet for a service/fix for reasonable $$$

I guess its a fader board you need. there are 3 boards One for each bank of 8 faders etc.

my previous post for reference...

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=322252

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 AM

The faders are supposed to click , this is normal.
Because you are having issues with the entire strip it is not the fader I would imagine. but if the rest work well I would expect your problem to be near the input of either the power or the digital info being sent through .
Since it is not showing any info at all for either it is before the scribble strip and or fader . Reseating click plugs fixed a issue for me give it a try.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I´ve checked all the connections quite a few times.... As there are 3 boards for the scribble strips, and none shows any info,,,, My immediate thought goes to the controller. In my mind that is the CUB board... is it?

I´ve contacted Avid through a local dealer, to hopefully get spare parts....

If i.e. you have a badly connected dc plug to one of the internatl boards, and gently tap it with a "insulated tool", and the power is again going to the board,,,, will the board immediately "work" og do I need to shut down the unit to get it properly started? (pardon my english,,,, I tried to explain as good as I can...)

Brgds
Ole Peder