Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Reaper VS. Protools

From Avid,

IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic, so please do not use them with Pro Tools. If you're recording or playing back from a USB drive and are getting errors in Pro Tools, please switch to using a compatible external firewire drive or internal SATA/ATA/IDE drive and disconnect the USB drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic. Here are some useful links to determine if the drive you have, or are considering, has the proper chipset:

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
Here's a few PT LE cons that I've been using reaper for
- Limited track count
- No automatic delay compensation
- No auto fades
- No true slip editing
Well not completly ture.. Limited track count, yes. ADC - much needed. But, fades are under edit then all the way at the bottom of the collum, and the slip editing is at the top left hand corner beside grid mode and when the tracks are stretched out they can be moved as freely and precise as you can get them.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 AM

alright then. I'll look into getting a FW drive. I do have a loaner Glyph drive that I could use. it's a friend's but I'm sure he'll be ok with me using it for now.

here's a question:

I only have a single FW800 port on the imac. my interface is FW400 so I have to adapt it. which should go first the drive or the interface? does it matter?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RettRobinson View Post
Well not completly ture.. Limited track count, yes. ADC - much needed. But, fades are under edit then all the way at the bottom of the collum, and the slip editing is at the top left hand corner beside grid mode and when the tracks are stretched out they can be moved as freely and precise as you can get them.
Auto fades and Slip editing are entirely different features that abt was referring to and something that Pro Tools doesn't have.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
Here's a few PT LE cons that I've been using reaper for
- Limited track count
- No automatic delay compensation
- No auto fades
- No true slip editing
You spoil sport, Pro Tools LE was looking so good until you mentioned the above list!

BTW I needed to tune some vocals yesterday, so I exported the audio files from PT, inserted REAPER in as a ReWire instrument and then dragged the audio into REAPER and used reatune for automatic autotune for free and then hey presto!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
You spoil sport, Pro Tools LE was looking so good until you mentioned the above list!

BTW I needed to tune some vocals yesterday, so I exported the audio files from PT, inserted REAPER in as a ReWire instrument and then dragged the audio into REAPER and used reatune for automatic autotune for free and then hey presto!
Well, that's one way to do it. But I still like using that little Melodyne freebie plug-in we can get with PT 8.0 Works every time and I like the visual interface...makes it easy to pinpoint exactly what I want to fix. I just tuned up a couple of spots in a vox track on Mon with it and even I can't remember what I fixed with it when I listen back now.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:

hahaha I know what you mean!

I lurk here often but don't post very much. I'm still pretty new to PT, less than a year, even newer to reaper, only weeks. I do participate on other forums and almost daily users are either using reaper in conjunction with PT or dropping PT all together. I love PT but I have to admit that they need to lift their game because they're not even on par any more they're falling behind. It sucks, I don't want to learn another DAW, but for a few bucks to get a bunch of features the PT should have it's really a no brainer.

PS thanks for the autotune tip.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:

On the subject of vocals, REAPER is quite the work flow beast for tracking them. I can have my tracking session open in one tab in REAPER and record the vocals. At the same time, using the same I/O hardware, I can comp and edit the vocals with headphones in another tab. This type of production work flow and speed is a goldmine and definitely has to be experienced to really "get it".

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 PM

yes reaper is wonderful! I mean actions alone is worth the price of admission. I know you can do macros for PT, but you don't have developers thinking "oh that would be helpful for ppl who make macros, let's add that function" in the PT world.

so anyway!

what's the word on the firewire? hard drive before interface, or interface before hard drive?

if it doesn't matter I'd go with interface after harddrive because turning off my profire 2626 turns off the harddrive and I tend to do that by accident sometimes.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
alright then. I'll look into getting a FW drive. I do have a loaner Glyph drive that I could use. it's a friend's but I'm sure he'll be ok with me using it for now.

here's a question:

I only have a single FW800 port on the imac. my interface is FW400 so I have to adapt it. which should go first the drive or the interface? does it matter?
You can always get the FW800 to FW400 Cable. But it will only go as fast as the slowest speed on the interface.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Closed Thread