How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Default Spectral Display Plug-ins... Pro Tools 10 Help

Hi,
Exactly one week ago I made the switch to Pro Tools 10 from Adobe CS3 products. I've pretty much always wanted to use Pro Tools, but never had the money. Now, due to the demands of a job I'm currently doing, Adobe was no longer sufficient and I bought an iLok and downloaded the trial for PT 10. Well needless to say, it's been quite the drastic change for me, having never used Pro Tools before, or seen it used to any extent, at all. I bought a bunch of tutorials from Groove3 and have been giving myself a crash course trying to get this DAW figured out before the deadline (which I might add is one week away). All this to say; 1) Adobe Soundbooth has a Spectral Display feature, which I found VERY useful in targeting little noises that I needed to remove. I came to pretty much depend on that entirely, for just about everything. Does anyone know if there's a plugin available for Pro Tools that has that feature? 2) I want to study sound design for film, but I don't have the finances for school right now. I'm fairly new to the audio industry, and pretty much everything I know, I taught myself. Needless to say, my knowledge is fairly limited, and I am quite naive in many respects when it comes to the proper methods of editing, mixing, etc. If anyone has an hour or two of spare time in the next couple of days, I would love to give you a call and get some instruction in using Pro Tools. My email is: [email protected]. Thank you so much! God bless.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Spectral Display Plug-ins... Pro Tools 10 Help

Izotope RX2 does it, but its best in standalone mode (outside the ProTools App)
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THStudios View Post
Hi,
Exactly one week ago I made the switch to Pro Tools 10 from Adobe CS3 products. I've pretty much always wanted to use Pro Tools, but never had the money. Now, due to the demands of a job I'm currently doing, Adobe was no longer sufficient and I bought an iLok and downloaded the trial for PT 10. Well needless to say, it's been quite the drastic change for me, having never used Pro Tools before, or seen it used to any extent, at all. I bought a bunch of tutorials from Groove3 and have been giving myself a crash course trying to get this DAW figured out before the deadline (which I might add is one week away). All this to say; 1) Adobe Soundbooth has a Spectral Display feature, which I found VERY useful in targeting little noises that I needed to remove. I came to pretty much depend on that entirely, for just about everything. Does anyone know if there's a plugin available for Pro Tools that has that feature? 2) I want to study sound design for film, but I don't have the finances for school right now. I'm fairly new to the audio industry, and pretty much everything I know, I taught myself. Needless to say, my knowledge is fairly limited, and I am quite naive in many respects when it comes to the proper methods of editing, mixing, etc. If anyone has an hour or two of spare time in the next couple of days, I would love to give you a call and get some instruction in using Pro Tools. My email is: [email protected]. Thank you so much! God bless.
Hi,

Welcome to the World of Pro Tools.

in the top right of the Pro Tools screen there's a help menu where you will find the reference manual, it also has a search feature.

Groove3 should teach you most of the basics!

Anything you get stuck on, come to the forum and ask.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Izotope RX2 does it, but its best in standalone mode (outside the ProTools App)
RX2 looks like a great tool, but it's a little out of my price range right now... any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Audiofile Engineering's Spectre is good. Also Blue Cat Audio has a basic analyzer that's free.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Yep, and it's very useful. I'm using it often.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Okay, now I have a really dumb question; how do you get a new plugin into Pro Tools? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Most plugins will have their installers, you just have to double click on it (pc) and it will run it. If you installed PT in a different place than it's default, you will have to point to the \DAE\plugins.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Most plugins will have their installers, you just have to double click on it (pc) and it will run it. If you installed PT in a different place than it's default, you will have to point to the \DAE\plugins.
Sorry for my ignorance when it comes to this stuff, but I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. I downloaded the free pack from Blue Cat Audio, but when I go to them in my Programs list I can't open them... just go to the webpage or uninstall. Pro Tools was also installed in it's default location, however it is the trial... does that maybe have anything to do with it? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 Help @ Groove3.com

Save yourself time and buy a one month subscription @ Groove3.com and use there tutorials to learn ProTools, you will save yourself many headaches.

Albeit a complex program with many layers, much of what you need to learn is there, immediately available to you in short, lessons. Skip the PT10 lessons (come back to them later) and start with the PT basics lessons.

IMHO Groove3.com should provide all you need as a newbie, (they sell the full access pass for $99 during black friday -a must for any PT user...) Good Luck!

-SteveB.