Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2002, 10:08 AM

Default Re: 1st time buyer - Digi 001 or HD?

Just one comment - If he can't afford an HD3 then buy it anyway and sell one or two process cards. I'm sure you could get at least $2.5K per card.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:44 AM

Thanks all. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I'll pass the info on to my friend.

PT Cruiser
Old 02-13-2002, 07:46 PM

my comments were not intended to insult anyone, I was simply suggesting that seeing how this technology can get very expensive perhaps it would be wise to invest in that Digi001 first.

This would provide a low cost learning environment from which he would find out if such a costly investment would be smart.

point is....someone selling a used digi001 and a mac would cost alot less than a mix system or HD....

even with the digi001 taking full advantage of the provided lightpipe in and outs he could accomplish and awful lot.

I just feel too many people discount the lower priced tools and aim for the more costly because they think they are better.

I guess the idea is if you have to ask whether or not you should be looking for a digi001 or a HD system then I do ask do you really understand the differences between the two? then you need to ask with the work you would like to do with this hardware is the digi001 enough? its not what someone in this forum thinks you should purchase. rather you need to look at your requirments and base your decision off that. Its not like your comparing apples with apples in your question, yours is more like comparing apples with oranges. Figure out your needs then go from there.

do you intend on recording more than 8 to 10 sources at a time?

do you really need the tdm architecture or would rtas be enough?

example: if I spend most of my time working on jazz projects then I know typically my track count will be fairly low as well as my "plug-in" usage.

in most cases I know when I was first learning how to do all this stuff it was rare that I used extremely high track counts...your case may be different..

let your needs decide what it is you should purchase and try to resist the "more is better" (I dont mean that as an insult) I am speaking from experience!!! it happens to all of us :\
Old 02-13-2002, 11:09 PM

I'm 22 years old and my brother's 19. Yea, our Mix Cubed is a serious investment for two guys our age and many people might consider us out of our minds and think our priorities are out of wack. Oh yea, we're not spoiled rich kids either. Our Daddy didn't buy any of this. But we know what we want to do: MUSIC!!! When we are speaking with a possible client or people inquire how we work we say "Pro Tools Mix Cubed," their eyes get big, and then they come see the Control 24 and their eyes get wider.

Obviously if you don't know how to use the tools, and your work sounds like sh-t, then it doesn't matter how the board lights up, and if you don't know what plug-ins to use and how they work then all the HD TDM II or Mix Farms in the world are pointless and a waste of money. It is not a magic wand, I agree with what's been said.

But dammnit, go for your goals! In one respect, you can tell a kid about swimming and let him splash in the baby pool but he really doesn't learn to swim until you toss him in the deep end and let him swim to you. That's how I learned to swim, and I hated my Dad that day!!!!

You said in your original post that your buddy wants to get in at the "Pro Level." Not that professional quality work can't be accomplished on a 001, but it seems like a bit more of a "project studio" solution (which might be what you need). If I remember correctly you said that you and your buddy go to pro studios to do some of your work. So you are already in the pro environment, are used to it, and have expectations on systems you work with and what they must fullfill, and I think only a TDM system would satisfy what you've been used to at a larger facility. So it's not like your just the church band here who said one night "Hey, let's try recording some stuff" and have no clue what's going on.

I like to be smart financially and I do think and research before I make investments (we went to demos and researched about 6 months before deciding on our rig), but I also "try" not to let dollars scare me from what I really need to accomplish my goals. Nothing will stand in the way of my goals. And, one thing I've learned from my short time in this industry (compared to the seasoned vets in here) is you get what you pay for.

Prices on Mix systems is going to be dropping. Even for brand new ones (I heard list prices drop after 6/30/02 - the upgrade deadline). I just think that you'd be way happier on a more powerful rig geared towards high-end PRO work. That feeling is worth it, even if it means getting another bill every month. With a better rig, you'll have a better shot of paying that bill.

In case you were wondering, my brother and I are planning and budgeting for an upgrade to the HD3 rig. We are waiting until plug-in manufacturers catch up (Hurry !). We love our current rig, we just want more DSP, track counts, and the sample rate capabilities will have us ready to take on DVD, DVD-A and other projects in the future. We do a lot of synth work and are very happy at 44.1/24 bit..but HD3 will have us ready for possibilities down the road.

Fwwweww...you've heard enough from me for now.

Hope this helps

Happy Shopping

Dan
Old 02-14-2002, 12:19 AM

Just my 2 cents but this is like the guy who asks me if they should buy a mackie 8-bus or an Amek 9098i.....

What I mean is if you dont understand the technology and what it can do for you then you possibly might need to do a little more research.

Way to many people seem to have $$$ to blow thinking that the tools are the magic to what it is alot of us do!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:57 AM

scenaria-

1. Lose the attitude.

2. Not all of us who are interested in the DUC and ProTools are the high tech guru type.

3. I (as well as my friend) have the utmost respect for the pro audio guys. He does use pro engineers, but he's looking to save on the studio time by buying a PT rig. I personally use PT as a recreational/developmental tool at home, and do the bulk of my work in pro studios.

My apologies to the group for the tone of this reply. I truly appreciate the help and suggestions of those who replied, and I am continually amazed by the people that turn every thread on the DUC into their chance to take shots at others. I thought this was the best place to pose an honest question to the pros, from someone who's not as up on the cutting edge of recording technology. That's why I hire great engineers.

My thanks to those who helped.

PT Cruiser
Old 02-14-2002, 07:25 AM

scenaria-

Thanks for the further clarification, and sorry for the assault of yesterday. I read your post at the wrong time, in the middle of a horrible day, and just went off. Please accept my public apology, and I do appreciate what you were trying to say.

Sincerely,

PT Cruiser

P.S. Thanks again to all for their input. This thread can die now.