Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Shortcut for switching nudge mode?

Does anybody know a way to switch the nudge mode between timecode and samples and vice versa via keyboard?
Sometimes there are undocumented shortcuts, that would help not using the mouse.

(Sorry for any misbehavior in advance, I'm new to this thing here...)
Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Shortcut for switching nudge mode?

Press Command+Option and then "+/-" on the numeric keypad will change the value, but I don't know of shortcut that will change the time base.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:10 AM

Hey wait a second. I almost forgot. Just click on the little "down" pointer to the right of the numbers in the Main Counter window in the Edit or Transport windows, and a drop down will appear. Then select the timebase you want.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Thats no via the keyboard however.
Simon L.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:25 AM

> Thats no via the keyboard however.<

Yeah, I Know. Just thought I'd mention it since it's handier than having all the rulers displayed that you want to switch between. They just take up screen real estate needed to display as many tracks as possible.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:34 AM

Thank you!
I knew those ways. Maybe I should tell my problem more precise:
Since I work in film postproduction I almost always work in grid mode with nudge switched to 1 frame.
When I do dialogue editing, I often have to switch to samples (in the nudge window), because I want to bring the boom and the radio mics into phase and therefore a nudge of one frame is too rough.
So I often see myself switching between these two values by clicking on this tiny triangle with the mouse.

I hoped there would be an undocumented shortcut, but I think there is no.

Something for my wishlist.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregga View Post
Thank you!
I knew those ways. Maybe I should tell my problem more precise:
Since I work in film postproduction I almost always work in grid mode with nudge switched to 1 frame.
When I do dialogue editing, I often have to switch to samples (in the nudge window), because I want to bring the boom and the radio mics into phase and therefore a nudge of one frame is too rough.
So I often see myself switching between these two values by clicking on this tiny triangle with the mouse.

I hoped there would be an undocumented shortcut, but I think there is no.

Something for my wishlist.
Reviving this request if it hasn't already been addressed!
Old 10-21-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
Reviving this request if it hasn't already been addressed!
Nowadays, in the current version, we have access to SoundFlow.

For being a newb a couple versions in, I can say this would be a trivial few minutes work, and you'd have a keyboard shortcut ready to use.

Also, you might pull off the same trick with the new Keyboard Shortcuts in the Setup menu.

If you search for "counter" you can apply shortcuts to Bar/Beats or timecode or samples. Same as menu View > Main Counter. This could change the MAIN counter from timecode to samples. On the Nudge menu there is an option for "Follow Main Scale" which means if you change the Main counter by making a shortcut the nudge will change.

Does this make sense?
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-23-2022, 06:00 AM

Just FYI. When you are in grid mode if you hold command you can move clips just like in slip mode. So no need to change modes. May or may not be useful to you
Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Nowadays, in the current version, we have access to SoundFlow.

For being a newb a couple versions in, I can say this would be a trivial few minutes work, and you'd have a keyboard shortcut ready to use.

Also, you might pull off the same trick with the new Keyboard Shortcuts in the Setup menu.

If you search for "counter" you can apply shortcuts to Bar/Beats or timecode or samples. Same as menu View > Main Counter. This could change the MAIN counter from timecode to samples. On the Nudge menu there is an option for "Follow Main Scale" which means if you change the Main counter by making a shortcut the nudge will change.

Does this make sense?
This^^^

I had created shortcuts for switching between Bars|Beats and Timecode, via macOS System Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts, for when I was editing music to picture. It's even easier now to create these inside Pro Tools with the customizable shortcuts.