Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2001, 01:25 PM

Default I want to use TDM, DAE, + Digital Performer ...

I've been a TDM/DAE/Digital Performer user for some time now. As the years have gone by, some features in DP [automation data, for example] seem to behave erratically under this set-up. I've spoken with MOTU, and they claim they are powerless to fix some of these matters. Could someone tell me if the time has come to take sides, or will Digi + MOTU come together ?

Due to the current state of affairs, I'm compelled to run DP + PT concurrently. I've seen documentation on the MOTU site with respect to using OMS emulation mode. Isn't it also now possible to run the 2 programs together under actual OMS, and if so, how is this done ? Also, if the 2 techniques are viable, which works better ?

Thanks,
Jep Epstein
Score Music, Inc.
Old 01-11-2001, 05:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: I want to use TDM, DAE, + Digital Performer ...

Here's the process for using OMS with DP:

-Install OMS 2.3.8 and then run the FreeMidi 1.4.x installer. Installing FreeMidi after OMS will then update the System Folder>OMS Folder with some MOTU specific files which may give you the functionality you need with your setup. Restart the computer and launch FreeMidi. It will say something like “FreeMidi has detected OMS...Do you want to use FreeMidi or OMS?” Click “Use OMS”. This puts FreeMidi into OMS compatibility mode. From this point on, FreeMidi will reman invisible to you and all configuring/editing of interfaces and devices is to be performed in OMS.

Brent
Old 01-11-2001, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply, Brent ...

jep
Old 01-12-2001, 08:44 AM

BTW are the MOTU plug ins, TDM compatible or do you still have to use the MOTU audio engine ?

phil
Old 01-25-2001, 11:35 AM

MOTU plug-ins, I believe, cannot be used while running under DAE [MAS is required]

jep
Old 01-26-2001, 12:12 AM

I'm a long-time DP user myself, who recently upgraded to Pro Tools Mix Plus. Needless to say the midi in PT sucks s**t, so I spend a lot of time running both programs, or sticking with Pro Tools if I feel I can muddle through with their lame midi while I wait for 5.1 (event lists - PLEASE!!!)

Jep - when you use DP with the DAE, do you have problems? DP crashes right and left for me if I run it with digital audio enabled. What kind of system are you running...?