Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Avid releasing new product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Are you serious?? I defended you in those other threads!! God knows why now.

When you say things like I don’t care, it’s dismissive. You seem to have blinkers on if you can’t see how it comes across as rude. What suits you doesn’t suit others. How would you like it if the next time you wanted a feature someone said, nah I don’t care I can do that this way?

On topic, Cthulhu etc. are great but it isn’t as elegant as what could be done directly if Pro Tools added this feature themselves. Look at how Reason ingested their players. It’s very simple and clean.

Seriously man, you need to take a step away from the keyboard and sort yourself out. I don’t know where you’ve seen me having a go at you elsewhere. It’s like a differing opinion to yours is not allowed.

Crikey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edit,

this one was entirely my fault, i apologise when I am wrong. I was being short and unfriendly, and not focused on the needs of others. My sincerest most profuse apologies to all, especially Sardi. My total bad on this one.
Peace.

Last edited by TNM; 02-25-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I’m referring to MIDI plugins like what Live, Logic, Reason etc. have. Scale, Chord, Arpeggiator plugins etc.

Composition tools. Pro Tools has nothing like this.

I could the out 3 pages of things that Pro Tools can do and Logic,Reason & Live never will
Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
I could the out 3 pages of things that Pro Tools can do and Logic,Reason & Live never will

Well we could go backwards and forwards on what DAW A has that DAW B doesn’t.

The point is, we’re using Pro Tools and would like it’s feature set to grow rather than stay stagnant. There has been virtually no progress in its MIDI functionality since v8.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:

The point is, we’re using Pro Tools and would like it’s feature set to grow rather than stay stagnant. There has been virtually no progress in its MIDI functionality since v8.

what do you want in midi? I presume expression maps and a drum editor? they are the only two obvious things I can think that are missing.

The way the event operations is set up all in one window, actually makes doing stuff to midi really enjoyable.

In cubase, as powerful as it's midi is, it doesn't even have a single factory midi groove quantise.. out of the box, pro tools can do specific mpc swings etc.

You can add swing via the quantise panel but PT can do all that from it's EO window anyway.

The only thing I'd want from cubase's midi in PT is the drum editor and to see the pitch of each note on the actual note.

What i really want to see which neither cubase nor logic nor PT have, is a scale snap. I don't mean after the fact like Cubase and Logic do it.. I mean like S1 and Reaper where you activate it and you can literally only drag and drop or copy notes in the chosen scale.. So cool for building chord progressions when a keyboard is not handy.

Cubase's logic editor is very powerful and that's where the real action happens but it's really not pleasant or easy to use and the presets aren't the best IMO. One has to learn it and make their own macros.

What i would also like to see in PT are some of logic's one click functions - alt shift click while resize or changing velocity of multiple notes in event list or piano roll equalizes those notes.., select equal colored notes, highest notes, lowest notes, same midi channel, supposition, etc.

But logic's actual one click macros are all covered in PT's Event operations, same with cubase. In fact personally, without going into the overly complex logical editor, i feel PT can do more than either as it..

Once again I will say that PT's midi is way too harshly judged.. the piano roll is sublime to use - very fast to work with, and the midi timing is amazing.

I slaved mainstage to PT via iac port, just beat clock as i am using MainStage as standalone synth for alchemy.. you can see with cubase as a master, at 120 BPM, mainstage is always fluctuating from 119.8 to 120.2 but you can literally see the jitter as it's doing so. With PT as the master, it stays at 120 and looks almost perfectly still.

I also prefer PT to use my hardware synths with than almost anything else because of the timing and how i can set an offset in *samples* per port..

I just want a few little things that i mentioned and midi will be perfect for me...

I'm going to start a new FR topic in the other forum with all my final wishes, and as they are done and i tick them off, i will come back to PT full time (definitely keeping my sub going) even though I am using Cubase more and more now (performance reasons only, plus vari audio and track folders).
Old 03-31-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Enhancing MIDI functionality is still high on the list of the Avid Customer Association feedback so I suspect they will do more this year.
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 AM

Default Avid releasing new product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Enhancing MIDI functionality is still high on the list of the Avid Customer Association feedback so I suspect they will do more this year.

I hope so.

The MIDI features added in 2018.1 weren’t exactly what I (and I assume others) had in mind when asking for more MIDI functionality/features.