Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Cheap upmixing:)

Anymix is a good plugin in a surround session project. You can use it for some seperate tracks, like stereo soundfx or some direct audio from the set, to bring it in a surround session or to add some early reflections or other surround panning moves with included flitering for a distance and so on. For this work is the plugin very good to bring easy and fast results.

Ok I try Halo in the next time and we can make here in the Forums a Thread comparison, deal?

IMO, if the Halo manufacturers says the stereo downmix from the 5.1 until 9.1 Upmix is identical to the original material. Then it can't work good. In this mode the Upmix is very bad and simple with nothing special seperation and a good channel isolation. As a consequence very muddy and mushy and the sound is not good locatable.

This is my speculation at the moment,but may be its not true!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Your speculation is wrong. Just try either Halo or Penteo and you'll never touch the Waves/Prologic/Anymix again.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:08 AM

Hi!

I watch some YT Videos from Penteo and Halo, after this i think my speculation is not wrong, it looks like a Upmix with a low channel seperation and to much crosstalk between Front/Center and Surrounds. Suchlike process is poor and muddy! Some other features looks like a typically Dolby Prologic Decoding.

In fact, the best way today is to produce native Surround content directly in a session and not to produce in Stereo and make after this a simple Upmix to save you expenses and trouble.

Ok Let's see that my speculation is wrong or true, I want to test it in the next time and i give here a report!
Old 05-31-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Just try either Halo or Penteo and you'll never touch the Waves/Prologic/Anymix again.
I was a beta tester for Halo. I love Halo and use it exclusively now. But if I wouldn't have owned it, my second choice would be the Anymix, not the Panteo.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 05-31-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeHD View Post
Hi!

I watch some YT Videos from Penteo and Halo, after this i think my speculation is not wrong, it looks like a Upmix with a low channel seperation and to much crosstalk between Front/Center and Surrounds. Suchlike process is poor and muddy! Some other features looks like a typically Dolby Prologic Decoding.

In fact, the best way today is to produce native Surround content directly in a session and not to produce in Stereo and make after this a simple Upmix to save you expenses and trouble.

Ok Let's see that my speculation is wrong or true, I want to test it in the next time and i give here a report!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but don't judge it by how it *looks* on Youtube. Listen to it!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I was a beta tester for Halo. I love Halo and use it exclusively now. But if I wouldn't have owned it, my second choice would be the Anymix, not the Panteo.
Did you try Penteo lately? It was bugged for a period (when 7 came out), it didn't sound what it should sound like, they silently updated it without making a big deal out of it.

I like both though, but the Penteo is giving me better surrounds, more defined/separated, but the trade-off is a huge delay (you can cut it in half with minor impact).

Using Anymix I don't like the added reverb (or ambience I think it's called). When turned down it's not all that special, though still useful and a cheap alternative.

You can't go wrong with Halo. Also great development and support by Nugen.

And somewhere, out there, there's an Auro 3D upmixer. If I remember correctly it always used some form of reverb. Not worth it, IMHO obviously
Old 06-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Hi!

I've tested the Halo Demo and here is a short resume!

My speculation was not wrong, sorry guys!
Halo make a simple stereoupmix with many many crosstalks between the channels (Front to Rear) and a low seperation from instruments and so on. The most factory presets work not good!
Some of this has, we say in german "kammfilterartefakt", comb filter artifacts between the channels. On the rear channels are in the most time only the same audio information from the front, sometimes a little bit modulated or with other effects. For me is this a no go, that monaural parts (L+R) are mixed to the rear channels etc.
This all makes a very muddy and mushy sound and the Upmix is not good locatable.

I've found only 2-3 Presets that works partly good for me, but and this is the point, this presets used a de-matrixing (i hope is the right word in englisch) like a Dolby Prologic Decoding. That means a stable Front with a clean Center (L+R) and Rears (L-R) and a dominance regulation. And with a good channel seperation without to much crosstalk and with a good locatable sound!

I want to check more in the next days if i have time and want to make some audio examples.

Regards
Old 06-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Sort of related:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...d-upmixer-test

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 06-16-2017, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the Link, I want to check the Demo Audio Folder this is there for download. The other informations there is on the website for upmixing are only promotion infos (all is fine and good and so on)and not a really technical comparison with more background informations!
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 AM

As with most review sites, the information can be sponsored but still provide a good starting point. We have search engines, blogs and demo software at our disposal. When we add time to this we can make informed decisions.

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free