Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Any rerstrictions when using server-housing service?

Hi,

is anyone using the DD-GT server at a server-housing-service? I mean those companies where you rent rackspace and they pluig your server directly to their fast back-bone?
I donīt have the server yet but I wondered if this could be a good option to get a very fast symetrical up/and download speed at a reasonable price plus the saftey these companies provide (24h guards, fire-safety etc. etc).

Any one using the DD-GT in such an enviroment?

I understand that the server can be entirely administrated via network so that would work without the physical presence of the device in my studio. How often does this server crash or lock-up? Because then I guess a human being would have to walk over to the rack and press a reset button?

Any further thoughts are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Avid

Default Re: Any rerstrictions when using server-housing service?

If you use a service like that, keep in mind that all uploads and downloads are at the speed of the internet service of the uploading or downloading machine. The housing service may have a T1, but if you only have a 1.5/384, your uploads will be at 384. If you have it on your network, your uploads will be at LAN speeds, typically 100base-T or gigabit.

Typically, as far as I've seen, the server rarely needs to be rebooted. The 2 units that I have direct control over have only needed a reboot maybe once every 3-6 months and that's with extremely heavy usage.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
If you use a service like that, keep in mind that all uploads and downloads are at the speed of the internet service of the uploading or downloading machine. The housing service may have a T1, but if you only have a 1.5/384, your uploads will be at 384. If you have it on your network, your uploads will be at LAN speeds, typically 100base-T or gigabit.

Typically, as far as I've seen, the server rarely needs to be rebooted. The 2 units that I have direct control over have only needed a reboot maybe once every 3-6 months and that's with extremely heavy usage.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes Iīm aware of the speed-restrictions. I just want to make sure the server itself wonīt be the one that is slower than the clients. It needs to be hooked up to a very fast line because it might also be used by the picture dept. for file-transfers to VFX conpanies.
Such a superfast line wouldnīt make sense for my studio to rent because itīs very expensive and we rarely need it. A server-housing service would be much more cost-effective.

Have you seen my other question here ?

frank.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 AM

One last question: Does the GT-server have a serial port that allows remote on/off switching if the unit has locked up. These server-housing services offer a second log-in where you can switch crashed units on/off without the need for a human operator walk over to the rack and restart the server.

This works from any location in the world at any time.

Is this kind of interfacing possible with the GT-sever? Since itīs based on standard PC-hardware I guess it is but Iīm just guessing here and couldnīt find any info about this on the digi-site.

Thanks Digi for answering my questions here.

Frank.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM

OK. Iīve found the answer. The DD-servers do not allow remote shut-downs via the serial port. This makes the use of UPSs rather pointless. :-(

Frank.