Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Default Warning: Current DD client will not work on Snow Leopard (without installing Rosetta)

Folks,

(Edited...)

Chris Markle here from Aspera... For any of you thinking about migrating to Snow Leopard, please be aware that the current DD client will not work on Snow Leopard without installing the now-optional Rosetta feature. If, for some reason, you are unable or unwilling to install this optional component and you require DD client services, you will need to stay for now on Leopard (or earlier).

This is because the DD client is actually a PPC (PowerPC) application and runs on Intel-based Macs through the services of an OS capability called Rosetta. Rosetta lets Intel Macs run PPC applications. As of Snow Leopard, OS X will not longer include Rosetta by default.

These comments from a recent Snow Leopard review explain this further:
Quote:
There are some other notable options in the customized installation window. Rosetta, the technology that enables code compiled for PowerPC chips to run on Intel chips, is available--but is not installed by default. Rosetta only takes up a few megabytes of drive space, and without it older programs simply won't run, so if you have such programs, that option is worth checking. To find out if an App is PowerPC only, select an old app and choose Get Info; if its Kind is listed as Application (PowerPC), it needs Rosetta. If you don't [install Rosetta], and if you later try to launch a PowerPC app, Snow Leopard will pop up a window to explain that you need Rosetta and offer to install it for you (via Apple's Software Update utility).
Again, if you need the DD client to run on your machine, and you are unwilling or unable to install the now-optional Rosetta component, then you will need to stay for the current time on Leopard. We do have an updated client getting close to be able to be beta tested and that client will support Intel Macs. I cannot commit yet to a beta timeframe but I will keep this board updated.

Chris from Aspera
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Warning: Current DD client will not work on Snow Leopard (without installing Rose

Thanks for the info Chris.

can you put a note on your client download-page that explains the issue with Snow Leopard so people know before they download the client? At the moment the site only has a "PPC" and a "Intel" download option but it doesn´t mention issues with Snow Leopard.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Warning: Current DD client will not work on Snow Leopard (without installing Rose

Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I should hope when the new client comes out that the Mac OS X address book function works. For the last 3 years I have been unable to scroll down through DD's address book window and check any boxes. You can check whatever boxes are at the top default view of the window but start scrolling and you're screwed. A simple search function also wouldn't go amiss. Better yet, build into the email address-entry field auto-completion based on the Address book app you're referencing.

To combat this, my important DD-related clientelle are all named "AAA [their name]" just to deal a bug that has received zero attention since Aspera bought into the product. Sorry to bitch.

Please don't disappoint me!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
At the moment the site only has a "PPC" and a "Intel" download option but it doesn´t mention issues with Snow Leopard.
Yeah, and that "intel" option has been jive for months. Best to remove it until it's actually materialized.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Okay it's November... Are we working hard on this? You could probably get an out-of-work iPhone developer to redo this in Cocoa for you in about a day. In the meantime, Rosetta prevails.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Two months since my last confession. How are we doing Aspera?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 AM

I appreciate this is a Digidesign forum and Digidelivery is now owned by Aspera (who I have to say were very helpful when I contacted them with problems getting my server to work), but is there any actual likelihood of the DD client ever being updated? The server seems to work pretty well, but the client is buggy and in need of a good overhaul. I can't see that it would be that lengthy a process to sort it out or to port it to run natively on Intel Macs. Presumably Aspera bought Digidelivery to make money from it, but with a buggy and out of date client how long will sales continue?

The problem I have is I bought a server, and then encouraged customers to install the client, but they then report it crashes or deliveries fail and ask to go back to using ftp next time. If its left too long Digidelivery will just die a death I think, assuming from Aspera's point of view it hasn't already?

Chris, I'm not sure if you ever look at this forum any more, but if you do can we have an update as to how things are progressing? If ever there is a new client I'd be very happy to beta (or alpha) test it.

Thanks,

Phill.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Yup feels like a dead product to me. Same we bought it as soon as it became available and have used the hell out of it. I really dig this technology but it seams that aspera is happy to let it die. We really need an update soon and in fact were considering moving up to some of aspera's other offerings as they are also really cool, but this whole thing gives me a lot of pause.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Avid

Have any of you tried contacting Aspera directly with your concerns?

Aspera Technical Support
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +1 510-849-2386
Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 AM

I have more and more clients that call me and ask what the hell "rosetta" is and where they can buy it.

Seriously, does one always assume that everyone allways has his original SL-installation disk with him when he needs to receive an urgent delivery on his laptop running SL while he´s traveling? Often I have to re-upload data to FTP-sites because clients don´t have access to their SL installation DVD on the road.

Aspera needs to take care that this product doesn´t lose it´s good reputation by becoming outdated too much.

Please try not to prove Digidesign wrong when they posted "you are in good hands" when selling off DD.

Thanks,

Frank.