Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 04-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Default 1 or 5 IP addresses

Hello fellow Digi Users,

I am in the process of reconfiguring my studio and, in doing so, have purchased a DD LT. After doing some research I realize that I need to have static IP address and currently I have a dynamic one. So, I've been on the phone with my ISP (Comcast) and I'm about to pull the trigger and change from a residential internet account to a business account which would provide me with a static IP. But I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the benefits to having (5) static IP addresses as opposed to just (1) static IP address?

2. If I only get (1) static IP address, would my surfing the net interfere with clients accessing the the DD?

Comcast will charge me an additional $5/monthly to have (5) IP addresses and I'm not sure if it's really needed. However, I'd rather have and not need than to need and not have in terms of down the road or future usage. Comcast is telling me that if I start off with (1) IP and decide down the road to change to (5), then they would have to remove the one and give me five completely new ones. I just dont want it to be a hassle for clients and I definitely don't want to do anything that would hinder or elongate there accessing the DD.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'd like to solidify this in the upcoming coming week!

TIA
George
Old 04-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: 1 or 5 IP addresses

My understanding is that you will use the static IP for the LT server, if you need to connect other devices then you will need at the very least a second IP address. That second address can go through a router and be mapped to a whole host of Local IP's for your local network. Often the Router/modem can be configured to do this for you. So I would suggest that you probably need 2 IP's at the very least. One for DD and on far all the rest of your Surfing/Mail needs. As to the specifics of setting this up, you will probably need to speak with an IT professional.
Hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:18 PM

You only need a single static IP from your ISP. This static IP on the internet is what allows others to be certain that they are connecting to your DD server when they are sending or receiving a delivery. Your internet usage and the server traffic can be easily handled through this one address.

Here's the easy way to do what you are doing:

Make sure you have a router that can restrict the DHCP range on the LAN and allows a LAN address to function as a DMZ host. Restrict the DHCP range to some number of IP addresses that you think you'll ever need at one time for all your network appliances. Set the DMZ address in the router to a number outside the allowed DHCP range. This LAN IP set as the DMZ host is the static IP address that you'll assign to the Digidelivery.

Configure your server with the IP that is set as the DMZ host, the gateway is the LAN IP of the router, and the DNS servers are the same ones that your ISP gave you and are used in the router.

Follow this thread for some more tips

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-15-2007, 09:11 PM

Thanks Simon / Top Jimmy!

I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow to get the ball rolling...