Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Snap clips together

I am wondering if there is a way to select all clips and snap them all together at once instead of having to do it one at a time. I record and edit audiobooks and it would be alot easier to collapse (snap) them all together at once instead of having to point and click for each clip to "snap to previous"

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Snap clips together

Regions list menu (maybe that's called Clips list menu now?) > Timeline drop order > Left to right > drag 'em in.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the response PT. Actually I think what I'm talking about is more of an automatic shuffle setting. Not sure if anything like that exists. Something like where you can hit a button and all the clips snap together automatically instead of having to drag them together.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 PM

Automatic shuffling doesn't exist. Make sure the preference "Region list selection follows edit selection" is checked > make sure the timeline drop order is left to right > select all the regions on the track (they should now also be selected in the region list) > drag them onto a new track.

If the selected regions aren't sorted in the region list in the order they appear in the track, you can use the Auto rename feature found in the Region list menu. This takes much longer to explain than to do - it's done in seconds.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 AM

PT Lover you just saved me a lot of time during VO edits. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM

OOOOH! I get it now - THANKS SO MUCH. You just made my life a ton easier!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM

So to sum (no pun intended) it up:

1) Select regions necessary.

2) Open the "STRIP SILENCE" dialogue under the EDIT menu. Learn the keyboard short cut. Adjust setting as desired.

3) Press the "STRIP" button.

4) Edit menu > Select All (learn the keyboard shortcuts there)

5) Click on the dropdown triangle in the regions menu. Make sure "TIMELINE DROP ORDER" has "LEFT TO RIGHT" chosen. (This part is super important obviously)

6) Drag regions from Region List to the track or empty portion of edit window.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:54 PM

This is a super helpful tip. Wondering if anyone is using this in PT11? When I do it, often the clips are out of order when dropped onto the timeline.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 AM

Dear All

I've searched everywhere for an answer to this but to no avail, so I'd be very grateful for someone to enlighten me on this:

I, too, record a lot of lengthy voiceover work and there are times when I want to select all clips in the final edit, use Strip Silence to remove the longer gaps, then get Pro Tools to shuffle all the remaining clips together.

So I select all clips in the final edit on the timeline, and I notice those clips in the clip bin become highlighted accordingly. What I want to do now is invoke Strip Silence, strip out the gaps I don't want, then drag the entire collection of highlighted clips from the clip bin onto another (spare) track. As I'm in Shuffle mode, they'll all appear on the new track shuffled together with no gaps between them whatsoever... That would be perfect. If I've got two hours' worth of recorded audio featuring edits from all over the original takes, I don't want to be doing this manually!

Just one little problem - there seems to be no way of putting the clips in the clip bin in the same order they appear in the edit window...! As a result, if I drag clips from the clip bin onto another track, they're now in the wrong order!!

I've tried auto-renaming the highlighted clips in the clip bin, but no matter which option for sorting I use in the drop-down menu I can never drag those clips in one go onto a new track and keep them in their original order as seen in the original track.

In Preferences I have both 'Clip list selection follows edit selection' and 'Edit selection follows clip list selection' selected. For 'Timeline Drop Order' I have selected 'Left to Right'.

I'd be so relieved if someone pointed out that I was missing something obvious and that it's perfectly possible to arrange clips in the order they appear on the timeline. I'm praying this isn't something that Avid just hasn't thought of yet...

I'm running Pro Tools 12.7.1.

Many thanks for any advice!

Nick
Old 08-31-2017, 03:36 PM

Look in the Clip List for "Sort By" and find a Sort Filter that will do what you want. Perhaps File Creation Date or File Modification Date?

As an aside, I don't use Strip Silence. Does Shuffle Mode not bring the separated clips together when using Strip Silence?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction