Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Default Cheated? 11rack

Hmmm all this news about AAX, Pro Tools, new hardware and selling branches of their products. It seems 11R is here to stay, but where is an expansion or update of some kind?

I love my eleven rack and use if to not only record but to play live as well, but lately I have felt that they are treating this product like they did with Strike and various products, support and expansion are there at first then it disappears. Ive been wondering if I should just go and settle for POD or AMP FX-II. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Cheated? 11rack

Well, that's a very personal question. If you feel that you are missing something in the 11R and will be able to fill that void with another unit, then yes, go for it.

If it's simply that you feel left out because of lack of updates, but the unit performs well and covers your needs, then that is something only you can decide.

I'm perfectly happy with the way the 11R works, the selection of amps and FX and the way it sounds. I really could care less about how often an update comes out since the unit isn't lacking in any area for me now.

If and when they do come out with an update, surely I will look into it, but it is not a must have. So for me... no, I do not feel the same way.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 AM

Cheated? No.

Moving onto something else for my "new feature fix"? Yes.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM

There's a difference between what you may want and what you actually need.

If you bought the Eleven Rack because you thought there'd be updates... well, then you didn't do you homework.

Honestly, the Eleven Rack works just as well today as the day I bought it. Actually, better... I wasn't expecting the ERXP. That was a nice bonus.

I'm still not expecting an ERXP 2...

Anyhow, there are options for those who want the manufacturer to "pay attention to" a product you've already bought. FAS and Line6 come to mind...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM

what kind of update/firmware revision are you looking for?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't say we've been cheated, but its unfortunate that over a year has passed since the release of ERXP and there has been little talk of a second one from the Avid guys despite some back and forth regarding requested features, tightening up the nuts and bolts, improving live functionality, etc. There haven't even been bug fixes for the first Expansion, despite bugs being discovered and shared on here in November. Avid (as a company) obviously has their priorities somewhere else.

This forum has been really quiet as of lately, used prices for 11r are dropping significantly at <$400 for units including ERXP. I hope that's not an indication that our units are becoming out dated, or that Avid will soon be dropping support. We've heard the rhetoric from Avid a couple times, that 11r isn't dead, that they intend to expand on it, etc. I guess we'll just have to see.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM

There are many musicians out there who have to have the latest gear or keep upgrading it to feel that they are progressing, but there are very few who actually master their gear before moving on.

Ask yourself/others this; How good is my technical playing ability and how good do I sound. If you get a mediocre response, then you need to do more practice before upgrading gear. If you absolutely scare yourself at how great you are, then you're ready to move on.

The point is; An accomplished musician can make any gear sound great!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Yeah but if I followed this advice I'd still be trying to master that cheap nylon string acoustic I had when I was 14.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
I wouldn't say we've been cheated, but its unfortunate that over a year has passed since the release of ERXP and there has been little talk of a second one from the Avid guys despite some back and forth regarding requested features, tightening up the nuts and bolts, improving live functionality, etc. There haven't even been bug fixes for the first Expansion, despite bugs being discovered and shared on here in November. Avid (as a company) obviously has their priorities somewhere else.

This forum has been really quiet as of lately, used prices for 11r are dropping significantly at <$400 for units including ERXP. I hope that's not an indication that our units are becoming out dated, or that Avid will soon be dropping support. We've heard the rhetoric from Avid a couple times, that 11r isn't dead, that they intend to expand on it, etc. I guess we'll just have to see.
I think one reason it's been quiet here lately is because of the competition and resultant public forum debates between Axe FX 2 and Kemper. Some of us might be enjoying that particular debate, I know I am.

I love my 11R and will continue to gig with it - it's a fantastic tool. But I'm buying a Kemper. I'll use the Kemper for recording and I'll continue using the 11R. I have a family member that does some free lance sound work for acts coming through town, including big headliner acts at our largest venues. He's seen 11 Racks being used by big acts. If you crank something up loud I believe the difference between an 11R and a Kemper would be negligible - and I'm speaking from personal experience as a person who has produced live on tape stadium television shows. I'm not a sound engineer but loud is loud and even though I've never A/B'd different modelers in a 20,00 seat building I've got a hunch the 11R would be perfectly fine. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think I am.

Do I feel cheated by 11R? Absolutely not - it could stay as is and I'll continue using it.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The point is; An accomplished musician can make any gear sound great!
Y'know what, its not even about the sound. I love the tones I get with my 11r. But I have some functional issues with it; I have to reboot my computer every time I want to connect it to my 11r because of driver issues, there are bugs in ERXP (Bogner/Dyn3) that make those blocks hard to tweak so I end up avoiding those models to minimize frustration, etc. I dont think we're asking for that much, but waiting over a year for basic bug fixes - especially when they've been identified about 8 months ago and confirmed by Avid's people - is kind of ridiculous IMO.