Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Default OMF import does not bring in volume info

We are receiving an omf output from Avid Media Composer v3.12. All is perfect EXCEPT their volume rides are not coming over. In the session input
preferences it is selected to import all information, including volume. Any info would be a great help. Thanks very much.

Mel

PT 8.0.3cs1 HD1
Max OSX 10.5.8
Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Re: OMF import does not bring in volume info

Check with the pix dept and make sure that when they created the OMF for you, that they exported the volume info in the first place.
Hope this helps,

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Are you referring to the drop down list on the right? That is for importing data from other Pro Tools sessions (such as playlists, plug-in settings, ICON maps, etc). You need to either select from the bottom left of the import window the "Convert clip based gain to automation," or if they have key-frame gain, make sure the "Ignore Keyframe gain" box is unchecked.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info. That was it.

Mel
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM

it is my experience that the volume from the Avid does not relate to what I hear in the audio room.

I usually strip all of it off.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM

Agreed, it's pretty much useless, you'll be fighting it the whole time. I always ignore clip and keyframe gain. Now that you know how to import the data, ignore it.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM

More than ever before I am getting audio clips that should not be included, with their volume turned all the way down. Sometimes they are alts and sometimes they are just forgotten garbage. Importing the automation helps me check specifically for what is not used, THEN I can ignore it all.

I think it is bad practice for the editors to leave that stuff strewn around, they ought to make a pass to clean out garbage.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Good point. Definitely bad practice. It would be nice if our editors did any sort of automation on the garbage so we would have an idea if it was supposed to be included. If they did, I would probably import the data then remove it after sorting through the mess they gave me.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vision View Post
Good point. Definitely bad practice. It would be nice if our editors did any sort of automation on the garbage so we would have an idea if it was supposed to be included. If they did, I would probably import the data then remove it after sorting through the mess they gave me.
they could NOT INCLUDE it at all... create a separate sequence for audio export. My editors don't include garbage, because it's in the SOP.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD99 View Post
Check with the pix dept and make sure that when they created the OMF for you, that they exported the volume info in the first place.
Hope this helps,

Joe

Hey Joe, Doing a small INDIE film as a favor for someone and for some reason I am having trouble exporting a music omf embedded/consolidated in Protools 9.0.5 and then importing it back into a Dialogue/FX Mix Session with all of my settings, such as Volume and PlugIns)reverbs). I need them for the mix adjustments I did in the Music Session. Would rather do all of the parts there rather then mix it before hand with the rest of the film audio.

It used to work, but not sure what it's not now.

Thnx in advance! G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS