Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Default Difference in options between Inserts & Aux Sends

Why is it that calling up an insert on the MC Control will offer all of the plugin's settings on the 8 knobs, but you don't get that same option with the aux sends (at least not with Nuendo 6)?

When I instantiate an FX in the aux send bus, my only control options are gain and pan, both on the same knob. Why dont the parameters spread out over reverb plugs the same way they do for dynamic in the insert section?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Difference in options between Inserts & Aux Sends

An Insert is a interruption of the signal path with a processor
An Aux is an Auxiliary Bus Send that sends some of the signal someplace else for processing on and Aux Track or to an out for external processing or a CUE mix

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
When I instantiate an FX in the aux send bus, my only control options are gain and pan, both on the same knob. Why dont the parameters spread out over reverb plugs the same way they do for dynamic in the insert section?
Yea... If you need to adjust the parameters of the plugin that the send is accessing, you then need to call up the FX track where the plugin is inserted!

You know how to do the rest!
Al

Last edited by MoPro; 04-21-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
Yea... If you need to adjust the parameters of the plugin that the send is accessing, you then need to call up the FX track where the plugin is inserted!

You know how to do the rest!
Al
I don't understand why I can't get the parameter controls to open up on FX the same way I can in the insert. What's the logic of only offering gain and pan on the Aux Sends? Why can't I acces all of my reverb controls on the knobs like I can with all of the controls for my dynamics in the insert section? I don't get it.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM

It's a send, that's all it can do, the go to an accumulator for the bits the output of the accumulator goes to something else, lest say the input of an Auxiliary track you put the effect you want on the Aux track
It's modeled on the workings basic electronics

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
I don't understand why I can't get the parameter controls to open up on FX the same way I can in the insert.... I don't get it.
When you install (assign) a plugin in Cubendo... It is inserted on its own FX track. If you look at the arrange window... you will see the FX Track in a separate area of the track list.

When you use a Send from a Track... all you are doing is Sending a copy of that track's signal to the input of the FX Track, and the output of the FX Track is Returned and combined with the Track's output you are sending from!

You might think of the level control of the Send as a WET / DRY, or "Balance" setting, that adjusts how much of your Track's output vs. how much of the FX Track's output you are hearing!

The main takeaway I'm trying to emphasize is that there are many different types of tracks in Cubendo, and other DAW's as well!

Sends and Returns are just a way to connect these different track (channel) types, hence the limited parameter controls!

As I said above... If you need to adjust the parameters of the plugin Inserted on an FX Track, you need to call-up the FX Track where the plugin is inserted, and then push the rotary control knob button-top on the "Artist Control" that pertains to the "Inserts" selection!

Al

Last edited by MoPro; 04-22-2014 at 11:31 AM.