Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Re: 11r eleven rack window gone disappeared missing vanished POOF! (and no midi input

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
thank you very much sir, your thought and consideration is greatly appreciated. i dont have quicktime actually, so i will get that installed today. the laptop matter is now closed.

on another note, just to let you know, idk if u recall, but I had ordered the ram last week (when i started this thread). you are right, crucials site and asus site both said 2gb max, and I got a great, unbeleivable deal from PNY for 2x 1gb pc2700 ddr1 sdram dimm modules, so since I bought it already and I cant return it, Ill just give it a shot and see how it works and tell you.

however, im going to do what you said, custom build a windows 7 PC for PT 8 le. please tell me what specs you recommend:

-intel mobo/chipset (which model? w/ built in or seperate gpu?)
-intel processor (quad core? mhz speed?)
-ddr3 (how many gb ram?)

anything else i should be aware of?

thanks for the suggestion, i think its a good investment anyway for the next 7 years or so
yeah, if you already bought it, pop it in and see how it does. It will for sure make a difference. I've worked on many older PC's and when I upgrade people from 512MB or 1GB to 2GB they think its a whole new computer

If you really want to get things stream lined - if you happen to have a Restore disc that restores the PC to factory condition and re-installs XP - do a complete restore. Of course backup any documents to another hard drive before you do that. After the restore, you will probably have to install the drivers from the disc first, then go online to HP.com and download any drivers that have been updated.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Default Re: 11r eleven rack window gone disappeared missing vanished POOF! (and no midi input

hey nick, im gona do a format and clean install of win7 on the laptop IF the 2GB doesnt allow me to run pro tools on the old win xp hp a530n. if the desktop works, im not messin around with formattin the laptop, its not worth the trouble especially since i really want the desktop to be the PT dedicated DAW anyway. i just wanted the laptop to also be able to run PT in case, which it does, just no midi or 11r gui.

benoni, the xp desktop, which is gettin the 2gb, is a fresh clean install. there virtually no use on it, i think office and autocad are on it, nothing else.it was formatted and OS installed last year to be a backup computer and has been sittin there since. there isnt even any internet connected to it. now theres a reason to bring it back to life.

surprisngly the processor (AMD athlon 64 2ghz) is pretty good even with today's stuff. i mean there are quad core processers and all that, but still, i think with the 2gb it should be alright
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM

2gb of ram came, installed, and BAM...no lag so far. that 1gb upgrade was huge. rta cpu usage used to hit 40% on superior drummer 2 with lag and clicks, now it doesnt go above 18% and runs smooth.