Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-26-2002, 03:45 PM

Default help installing driver on macg4!!!!!!!!!

can anyone give me some help on installing a hard drive on my mac g4 733mhz??
the hard drive is a maxtor 10 gig.. i want to use it as a backup..
it is an ata hard drive if that helps...
i was able to install the drive into my mac fine but how do i get my mac to recognize it.....??????????
help i am going crzy!!!
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 02:13 AM

Default Re: help installing driver on macg4!!!!!!!!!

When I installed my hard drive into my G4. There was a diagram that explained the pin confiugration for the ribbon cable in order to make the drive the slave. Once you have that correct, you have to run a drive setup. The drive setup is located in your utilities folder which can be found in the applications folder on the macintosh HD. Hope that helps. Mine is an ATA drive to so the setup should be the same
Old 05-27-2002, 05:14 AM

If your master drive is considerably larger, you might want ot consider making the 10gb drive your Master drive. since 10 gb is more than enough for applications and system folders.

The manual that came with your G-4 gives set-by-step instructions for installation and romatting of a new drive.

FYI you can add a 3rd internal drive in the slot under the CD/DVD drive as well.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:25 PM

thanks alot guys...i got it working...and the only reason i am not using the 10gig as a master and the 40 as a slave is because the 40 is 7200rpms and the 10 is only 5400 so i have to have pt,logic,and dp3 on a fast drive to avoid crashing and the such...thanks again..
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2002, 05:55 PM

Knowing this, I wouldn't bothere installing the 10gb drive, you won't be able to record to it most likely anyway. Get yourself another 40gb for a slave, and record directly to it. You'll thank yourself in the long run. If ou can swing it, get two, and put them both in your G-4 as we have. The slave on bus 0(with the master drive ATA) is for clients, and the slave on ATA bus 1(the bus with the CD?DVD drive on it) is my personal music drive. It's an easy process to install both drives, and the G-4 will handle it no problem. Make sure whatever drive you get it is 7200rpm. We recommend the IBM deskstars. We have onver a dozen, and have had no porblems at all with them. (Yes there was an issue with Desktars about a year ago, but all the defective drives were pulled off the market almost immediately upon discovery of the problem by IBM.) We average about 150-200gb of throughput data a week, so our drives get a good workout.

It's a simple matter to swap out the ATA buss 0 slave drive. We found these nifty nylon screws with thumbwheel ends that make it totally tool-free. We can swap these drives in under 4 minutes, making it very convienent to have separage drives for each ongoing client.

Hope all this is hlepful.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:26 PM

i'm a student at full sail right now and a father of 2 so my finances are a bit limited at the moment but i agree completely with what you are saying...i installed the hard drive because i had no other resolution at this present time...no $$$$ [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
but i will keep that in mind and i was looking at the deskstars...hopefully i will be able to get one soon....
for the meantime i will truck it the way it is....regrettably..
good luck and thanks
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]