Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Tweaks for XP?

I'm looking to tweak my computer (DELL 3gig P4) with the MUSICXP.net suggestions.
I would like to do this as a separate XP startup config. Allowing me to choose at startup which way to boot the computer.

My question is..are these tweaks (ie: turning off indexing)GLOBAL, affecting both my Normal and Protools configs..or can I have my Normal config be your basic XP setup and my Protools config enact all the tweaks?
thanks
BB

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Tweaks for XP?

3 gigs P4? I think that is enough of a Tweak in itself. I just got 1 gig and a pentium-M 2.0, I am sure yours is way more powerful.

But yah, just make up different profiles. I have one for regular internet and normal computing. And one for music production.

I was able to turn off over a dozen resource wasting window xp processes in background.

They said the Music.xp site doesnt really do much, but its individual related I guess.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM

How can you make profiles for Windows XP Processes? I know about hardware profiles but am not aware of profiles for processes. Hmmm. Might be right under my nose and I never sniffed it out. I hope thats exactly what you were talking about. Later

Pentium4 (2.4Ghz)
Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
80GB HD
1GB Ram
Digi002
Protools 7.0
Mackie HR-824's
Old 10-26-2005, 03:44 PM

Forget XP Hardware profiles... I've been there. Most of the performance-hitting issues are software (which Windows Hardware Profiles WILL NOT ADDRESS) rather than hardware related (which is what Windows Hardware Profiles are for)... services that get installed over an amount of time, spyware, etc.

...I suggest a hard, dual-boot of two XP systems on different partitions, so you can have an XP partition tweaked only for audio tools, the other one with your everyday stuff (Browsing, games, music and spyware and other CPU critters wahahah). there are lot's of advantages in doing so, for example: You'll have a smaller Windows registry to be loaded/managed in memory - You dont have all those browsing/office/leisure software installed and adding millions of registry enries, remember? You can turn off or even disable completely/uninstall services, you can adjust your pagefile size for this partition only (Although with loads of RAM, it's better to disable it also)... your little sister won't be able to screw your Pro Tools projects also... (What's a partition, older brother?)

Get yourself a partitioning software (Partition Magic) and a Boot manager (VCOM System Commander, which also has a partitioning software)

Then split your drive in at least 2 partitions. Take the first one and hide the second one. Install XP on the first. Then, hide the first and unhide the second partition. Install the second XP on the second partition. Unhide the second partition. Use the boot manager to hide partitions and to allow you to choose which partition to boot. NEVER LET THE XP Boot manager do the work! I know it's a hassle, but in the long run is necesary.

You can get along with using only System Commander, which is the one I recommend A LOT... easier to use and not as troublesome as others. Plus it looks so neat!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:08 PM

Hey Ace
Do you run into any issues with XP's activation scheme? I assume you use the same copy of XP on each partition. Can you have the one copy activated on two different partitions? The reason I ask is that I want to do this so I can use an mbox and digi001 on the same box.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:19 PM

Oh, I see... I'm running a corpotate key of XP Pro... (I got it at my work)

...so I haven't run into trouble with activation at all... however, I don't think that should be a problem.

Can you have the one copy activated on two different partitions? <- Frankly I don't know, as I've never thought of this before. :S Maybe you can, I don't know. Try to ask Microsoft... There SHOULD be no problem at all, but you know how does this work... Activate one partition, then activate another... If trouble arises, a workaround might involve using Norton Ghost to copy and save a partition, then restore it whenever you feel like it... but frankly that's something I haven't tried before

You can't use mBox and the 001 on the same Pro Tools??? AFAIK they do are compatible... unless you mean the mBox 2, which uses -yet- it's own version of Pro Tools - weird, isn't it? What a mess...
Old 10-26-2005, 05:26 PM

according to MS, two boots of xp is two copies of xp and you need to purchase both - even though you couldn't possibly use them at the same time.

will
Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You can't use mBox and the 001 on the same Pro Tools???
What I am trying to do is use the digi001 to track in 6.4 then mix in 7.0 using the mbox.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:38 PM

Yah you can make multiple hardware profiles for different service configurations. I have one for pro-tools and regular internet/computing.

I learned to make profiles on TweakXP.com which led me to a site called;

www.BlackViper.com

But I heard it was down. Some guy explained which service was safe to turn off. It was very informative.He explains how half the resources is just a waste and does not really need to be there.

When you first start, make sure you have a back-up. This way you can return and start over without worrying about messing up your computer. That means I had 3 when until I figured out how to stream-line my computer. And I found it stable I chose to get rid of the back up and just keep 2 profiles.

bye

Ps- I believe if you have a 3.0ghz computer, I think your system is tweaked enough. But if your at the minimal requirements like my Pentium-m 2.0, I feel every little bit helps. The best tweak is 7.0!!!!!! cheers!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:08 PM

The 001 will not work with 7 (or 6.7 for that matter).

You cannot have 2 versions installed at the same time.

You will have to have a dual boot system, or switch back and forth using images.