Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-29-2017, 01:01 AM

Default ProTools Software Development stuck in the Dark Ages?

I've had a long career in IT, and seen many software revolutions and evolutions. For an expensive product which has supposedly been through major re-writes, I'm often struck by how unwieldy the Pro Tools system is:
1. I've just Updated 12.8.0 to 12.8.2
It required a 4.5GB download (!!!!!!!) for a sub-sub release. Have they not heard of modular/granular code, and making the update contain only the code that has changed?
2. The Application Manager itself is close to 0.5GB. It does relatively little. WHY so large?
3. The Application Manager changes more frequently than Pro Tools. WHY?
4. Why doesn't the App Manager advise how the big the download will be?
5. Why does the App manager take minutes to sync accounts?
Old 10-29-2017, 01:51 AM

Default Re: ProTools Software Development stuck in the Dark Ages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbIT View Post
I've had a long career in IT, and seen many software revolutions and evolutions. For an expensive product which has supposedly been through major re-writes, I'm often struck by how unwieldy the Pro Tools system is:
It required a 4.5GB download (!!!!!!!) for a sub-sub release. Have they not heard of modular/granular code, and making the update contain only the code that has changed?
2. The Application Manager itself is close to 0.5GB. It does relatively little. WHY so large?
Hi,
Looks like you're new to PT? Don't know very much about coding, but PT development is definitely in the Dark Ages. Avid should take a look at Reaper. Does everything that's required of it, efficiently, with a very small footprint.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:32 AM

Though retired now, like you I had a long career in IT. And from what i can see PT is a perfect example of bloatware at it's worst. Based on reports, the code base has transitioned between several engineering teams, which in my experience generally leads to problems. And from the outside, it seems the code is indeed a perfect mess. That explains the long litany of oddball bugs that pop up sporadically, and are so difficult to reproduce on demand so they can be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbIT View Post
Old 10-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
Are you insinuating, just use bailing wire, bubble gum, wire ties and string to make a lame piece of equipment limp along,
hoping it will get fixed in the future if you decide to pay for the repairs yet again
Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 AM

I have used PT for a long time also. Likewise, I started as an electrician and ended up working low voltage equipment such as PBX, voicemail, security, etc.

We started in the days of Microsoft's DOS and BBS systems, so it's been a while. Anyone unfortunate enough to have tried to use more than one com port in those days can remember the pain.

My own experience with Pro Tools has been mostly positive, until this latest release. I have had the issues with crashes but nothing like this.
It's guaranteed that the changing the programming team was a major issue.

My subscription is up in about 5 days, and I still don't what I'm going to do. I want to keep it going, but am really turned off with the time it can take to maintain this program. Hoping the next release will be solid is no way to go.
I'm not a complainer by nature but am losing confidence in this. I know from the forum that most people want stability over features, including me.