Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-06-2003, 08:33 PM

Default please help newbie

What did i miss? there are plug-ins that work great by clicking at the top of the mix window, then there's stuff i want to use under "Audio Suite." how does one use these plug-ins? i can't find anything in the PT reference manual.

your help is sincerely appreciated.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:43 PM

Default Re: please help newbie

When you click on the track in the mix window, those are inserts.. basically inline processing, like using 'inserts' on an analog board.. when you use the stuff in the AudioSuite Menu, you need to select the audio or region you want to be affected and it actually creates a new file.. it doesn't do it real time like the inserts do.. this is good in that if you are running low on CPU power, and know exactly what effect you want, you can just go ahead and process the file, then the computer is just playing the file back, and not having to affect the file on the fly.. however, if you are trying to tweek out a whole mix, its harder to just click over and change something..

but, anyway, simple answer, you need to select the audio you want to affect, then go to ASMenu, and then hit process when you have what you want to do.. you can hit preview in there to hear the file as it would be affected..

hope this helps..

eric
Old 07-06-2003, 08:50 PM

Audiosuite Plugs are the same except that they will write a new audio file to the hard drive with the effect on it. Non-Real time (if you will) Where as the RTAS Plugs are "Real Time Audio Suite" The RTAS use CPU power so you will eventually run aout of CPU power. If you are sure you want to use the effect then Audiosuite is the way to go. I would also suggest getting a 3rd party book about Protools Such :ProTools Power by Colin MacQueen or Producing in the Home Studio at Berkelee Press,... Both really great books for getting started.
Enjoy!
D-
Control 24 - (2)192's
Old 07-07-2003, 09:39 AM

thanks both of you... i sort of had an inkling... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

so by selecting you mean highlighting in the edit view? is there any way to use these from the mix window? or am i just asking for too much [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

thanks again, that's very helpful. i love the real-time plug-ins but had in fact run out of processing power already on a fairly simple mix.

cheers! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 AM

I don't think you can use them from the mix window because you have to select audio form the edit window in order for it to work.

I agree that you should get a book. I got Producing in the Home Studio by David Frans and it is very good.
If you or anyone else is interested I may put it on eBay because I am pretty much done with it. It is the first version so it covers OS 9 and Pro Tools five as well as Windowes 98. The hardware covered in it is the 001 and the Audiomedia III/ Toolbox but the software part is very helpful for any Pro Tools system.