Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Favorite Saturation Plugins - Does Anything Touch Decapitator

Decapiator is only $79 for the next couple days and before I go ahead and grab it, I'm curious if there's anything out there that comes close to it's awesomeness.

Phoenix II is pretty cool, but it costs like $500.

HEAT gets great reviews, which was made by the same guy who created Pbeonix, but that's just for PT HD.. and even then, I'm guessing it's a boatload of cash.
I just read an article on bx_saturator and how it allows you to saturate specific frequencies, but can't this be done with any effect by simply putting a HPF n LPF directly before it in the FX chain n narrowing em down to the frequency range you want affected?

Looking forward to reading which saturation plugs you like best and what is you like using em on.. and then A/B'ing em with Decapiator.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Favorite Saturation Plugins - Does Anything Touch Decapiator

First off HEAT will work on non HD versions from 2019.6 and if you buy a perp license for HEAT it is on sale for $199 which is a GREAT price considering the integration with Pro Tools so if you have an active subscription you will get HEAT included in the cost as long as you keep the plan active and if you dont have an active plan now you can buy a perpetual HEAT for $199 instead of $499 so just chose the best option for your needs.

IF you like Decapitator then why not get that as $79 is a really reasonable price. There are Sooooooooo many plugins out there it makes our heads spin so best to try before you buy.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-23-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
First off HEAT will work on non HD versions from 2019.6 and if you buy a perp license for HEAT it is on sale for $199 ...
$199 HEAT Sale hasn't started yet (coming soon - so, worth the wait!)
Still USD $495 here:
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...0&cclcl=en_US&
Old 07-23-2019, 01:18 AM

Yes heat would be worth the wait

The ones I have heard of besides heat would be u-hE satin

Here is a list, and I wouldn’t really have put Slate in that list with VTM it’s a decent list

I also love this guys plugs and prices

https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index...ware-products/

The Grasso
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
First off HEAT will work on non HD versions from 2019.6 and if you buy a perp license for HEAT it is on sale for $199 which is a GREAT price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yes heat would be worth the wait

If I had known HEAT worked with PT 2019.6 I wouldn't have mentioned it.. my annual update thingy lapsed at ver 12.4 and I've been stuck with it ever since. I was only two days late trying to make the update payment and was basically told to get screwed, that I'm just a number for the the quarterly reports; now give us our fahkin money! This disrespect makes me want to try, and probably be a full time Reaper user in the near future. But I'm way off track here; I already have a PT vs Reaper thread. Back to the plugins.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
If I had known HEAT worked with PT 2019.6 I wouldn't have mentioned it.. my annual update thingy lapsed at ver 12.4 and I've been stuck with it ever since. I was only two days late trying to make the update payment and was basically told to get screwed, that I'm just a number for the the quarterly reports; now give us our fahkin money! This disrespect makes me want to try, and probably be a full time Reaper user in the near future. But I'm way off track here; I already have a PT vs Reaper thread. Back to the plugins.

That’s both weird and unfortunate as we’ve seen avid help with reinstating people that had laps by a few days especially when it was an system error on the website. I’d try and reach Jeffro and see if there’s anything he can do if I were you.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-24-2019, 10:50 AM

Back to the topic at hand:
Have Decapitator and it can give you various flavors of saturation; which you use depends on what you want for your tracks.

That being said I have others that I use depending on the sound needed. In no particular order:
Phil's Cascade, Black Box HG-2 both available from Plugin Alliance and are tube based. Another is Vertigo VSM3 also from PA - easy to dial in second and/or third order saturation and it's solid state based I believe.

There's one that's the Rodney Dangerfield of plugins in that it gets no respect: PSP Vintage Warmer 2. Does both compression and saturation if you want it to.

Something to keep in mind with Soundtoys is if you already have a couple of their plugins you can often luck in to a good discount price for the whole catalog. There's lots in there that can help you get tracks where they need to be. Try Crystallizer on a Rhodes piano track to totally transform the sound into something wonderful.

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:52 AM

I often use Decapitator, I like it especially on group tracks and rarely touch the gain knob, in the default settings it does a lot. I made this video to see how the different modes affect the frequency curve in the default position:
https://youtu.be/94iHeJgSJNM
The tilt EQ in the center has also saved me several times with boring tracks, especially synth pads
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM

Decapitator gets a ton of use here, so does HEAT. I don't see then as competing with each other.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Call me stupid or whatever but I'm only using HEAT because of its integration to PT mixer. Tried alternatives but they are too much work for too little difference.