Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 01:24 AM

Default Select unused clips selecting all used ones, plus a question

This is so weird compared to Logic, which "just works" in this regard.

Ok, I have 20 audio tracks each playing one contiguous file.

On the right in clips, I have 20 clips.

I selected unused, it selected half of them. Now I tried to delete (this was all a dummy test project so nothing important, to work out this feature) and it would not as it said they were used in tracks. So that part is great.

However, I then selected unused again and just removed them this time, and pro tools happily did it.

So now, I have 20 audio tracks in the project and only 10 equivalent files in the clip browser.

Surely, this can not be intended behaviour? It can't be, it doesn't make sense.

Thankfully, in workspace, all the project audio files are correctly there, but there doesn't seem to be a way to select unused files to clean things up in workspace..

So, audio file maintenance as of right now, in PT, seems like one giant headache to me, unless I am doing something very very wrong or misunderstanding it.

The second thing, I am trying to work out how to move up and down in the clip browser.. Is there any kind of shortcut that will do this? P&; don't work in this scenario..

Also, how on earth do you move up and down the track list in the main arrange page? Weird! This is the first DAW that I have ever used in my 32 years of making music that doesn't simply move up and down between tracks with the up and down arrow keys - but surely there must be a way? I am not talking about on the actual edit area where the clips are in the timeline, but the track headers themselves.

TIA!
Old 03-22-2024, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Select unused clips selecting all used ones, plus a question

Some possible issues:

1) When you clip gain, clip fx or edit a clip, it creates a new clip in your bin. These clips might not show depending on your settings. In the clip bin menu under 'show' make sure 'auto created' is checked (along with the others above it). Even when it's at original length, unaltered edit but 1dB clip gain it creates a new clip which may be invisible depening on this setting.

2) When you select unused, the original file is now selected and the hidden clip is not. Now when removing unused you can end up with 10 visible clips even though there are 20 in your session. To prevent the selection (and thus removal) of original files check the bin menu, under 'select' and turn on 'select unused ignores parent clip'.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Some possible issues:

1) When you clip gain, clip fx or edit a clip, it creates a new clip in your bin. These clips might not show depending on your settings. In the clip bin menu under 'show' make sure 'auto created' is checked (along with the others above it). Even when it's at original length, unaltered edit but 1dB clip gain it creates a new clip which may be invisible depening on this setting.

2) When you select unused, the original file is now selected and the hidden clip is not. Now when removing unused you can end up with 10 visible clips even though there are 20 in your session. To prevent the selection (and thus removal) of original files check the bin menu, under 'select' and turn on 'select unused ignores parent clip'.
Thanks very much.
Show auto created has done it and now selecting unused files does not highlight any as they are all used.

Something so simple that never even remotely crossed my mind, so a big thank you!

I knew it didn't make sense LOL cause they are all in the arrangement and playing.

Do you also happen to know how to move up and down track names in the arrange page?

The only way *I* have been able to work it out is to choose the option to select clips when a track name is highlighted, in this scenario, P for up and ; for down works, but I always have that feature off yet need to find a way to move up and down easily.