Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Omni monitor cable question

Greets. I was just reading through a few reviews (even the manual) for the HD Omni. Unless I miss understood it talks about it being a monitor controller and that you can connect two sets of monitors using a MAIN and ALT paths. Looking at the physical connections on the back it has two monitor outputs TRS out 1 and 2. How do you physically connect a second set of monitors?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Omni monitor cable question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
Greets. I was just reading through a few reviews (even the manual) for the HD Omni. Unless I miss understood it talks about it being a monitor controller and that you can connect two sets of monitors using a MAIN and ALT paths. Looking at the physical connections on the back it has two monitor outputs TRS out 1 and 2. How do you physically connect a second set of monitors?
You have to use the DB25 connector for the additional outputs. Probably you would want to get a DB25 to TRS cable to accomplish this.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM

That's correct. If you're looking for a good brand, try Mogami:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com...483345.product

Cheaper brands would be things like Hosa, etc.

And also, besides being able to switch between monitors, you can configure the unit to be a monitor controller for 5.1 or 7.1 surround as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks. Yes, I see it now. I must admit I missed that reading through.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Or you could actually connect your 2 TRS outputs to a monitor controller, and have that route out to multiple speaker pairs. Even if you're using the DB25 connector to access all 8 outputs, you might want the other 6 for routing to external hardware?

A monitor controller would be something like this:
http://www.vintageking.com/Coleman-Audio-M3PH-MKII
Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Good point Dave. A Dangerous Dbox would also be another good solution, though a little more expensive.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Yes, but the omni is supposed to act as a monitor controller.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 PM

I'm afraid you guys are looking at this backwards...

Alt is not intended to switch between two separate sets of monitors.

It is intended for use when two separate monitor mixes are being generated, one for the Control Room, and another that might be fed to a studio or to a client listening area.

Alt is used to allow the engineer to listen to and adjust this "studio" mix while in the Control Room, eliminating the need for the engineer to run back and forth between the "studio" and the Control Room to check the "studio" mix.

This is thoroughly covered in the Omni manual...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Thanks Bill. I've got to say I disagree with your use of the word "thoroughly" lol

Hmm.. I thought playback was either through MAIN or ALT but what your suggesting is that they would playback simultaneously? This would be basically useless for A+B monitor comparison.

If this is the case I'm not really sure where this application would be useful for. My understanding was that the omni was designed with the smaller setup in mind, control room and tracking space all in one type environment, not someone with a separate control room and tacking room.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 PM

If you set the ALT monitor format to match the MAIN monitor format then set the analog out to different outputs for for each then it works. This will only work with up to sets two sets of 4 speakers as there is only 8 outs. For a stero guy like me its perfect.

You can't use analog out 1 and 2 on the ALT monitor as they are always active.

In my case, two sets of stereo monitors I've got one pair hooked up to the TRS outs on analog out 1 and 2 and one pair hooked up to the DB-25 to TRS cable (I already had one which was handy) via out 3 and 4.