Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2023, 03:44 AM
Avid

Default Re: Everyone stop using ARA right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
So, from this message it seems like AVID could not reproduce this yet? Or is it already assigned as a bug? I stoped using ARA mode because of this. It’s been so long and it’s a bummer that you can not solve this. I mean this is the worst bug in Pro tools since its release….
We have fixed already many ARA-related bugs. But perhaps there are still cases. As soon as there is a clear repro - we will make every effort to fix it in the next release.
As an announcement, I will say that we hope to bring a lot of joy to fans of ARA implementation in ProTools in the next release, stay tuned!
Old 03-07-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Appreciate that this is a little late. Still running 2022/10.
I’ve been a melodyne plug in user for years and have moved to ara because I love the workflow and integration.

But last night, after HOURS or ara use on vocals and various things, I came back to the session after a break to find the dreaded message that melodyne data was corrupted. All was fine an hour previously when saved.

After spending a few hours trying to import tracks from back ups and previously saved versions of the session, I just could not retrieve the melodyne data. Hope appeared briefly when a vocal imported correctly, only for melodyne to recalculate before my eyes and break it again.

I then found when re-editing a small section in ara, saving and reopening, that was also lost due to ‘data corruption’. It’s as if once a project has a corrupted ara data file, it’s for keeps.

So I hit ‘save a copy’ only copying active playlists etc, then re-edited in ara. Saved and reopened holding my breath. All saved and opened correctly with zero melodyne ara corruption.

I find melodyne ara workflow great to use. I tend not to render as the polish is still being polished to the very last second. I’ve had many spurious warnings on various sessions that have threatened edits being lost, but nothing previously has been corrupted (to the best of my knowledge anyway). I’m now slightly terrified to re open other ‘not quite finished’ sessions that have days of work sitting in ara!

I've been working on 2023.3 and now am on 2023.6. This happened when I was using 2023.3 2 weeks ago:

I am having the exact same problem. All my Melodyne ARA edits are gone. Only committed files (obviously) maintain the edits, but anything that wasn't committed is gone. I hadn't been committing most Melodyne edits, but instead just freezing the track. Now when I unfreeze to take off some frozen plugins that were carelessly handled (being temporary and all), I am left with unedited tracks.

I don't know exactly how this all works, but it is baffling. I have "save copy in"ed several times. I have absolutely new copies of everything going back over a year. I have imported (and copied) every single track pertaining to these lost edits, tracks that should have Melodyne edits and also tracks that never were edited. ALL of them are not edited. That's how I'm confirming this, I'm null-testing everything with everything, and everything cancels out. This is incredibly infuriating since I'd spent SO much time editing in Melodyne ARA. The only things I had ever committed make up less than 10% of them all.

Any help anyone?
Old 03-07-2024, 09:28 PM

I find it a bit crazy how only Pro Tools and Logic suffer from sustained extreme ARA bugs for multiple years now. I don't get it. It "just works" in all the other DAWs.
ARA is an extremely important tool because PT does not have a real kind of note by note native flex pitch, not to mention the brilliant plugins by synchroarts et al, and I still don't feel comfortable just using it, which I should, at this point, as should we all.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:09 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut_Head View Post
I've been working on 2023.3 and now am on 2023.6. This happened when I was using 2023.3 2 weeks ago:

I am having the exact same problem. All my Melodyne ARA edits are gone. Only committed files (obviously) maintain the edits, but anything that wasn't committed is gone. I hadn't been committing most Melodyne edits, but instead just freezing the track. Now when I unfreeze to take off some frozen plugins that were carelessly handled (being temporary and all), I am left with unedited tracks.

I don't know exactly how this all works, but it is baffling. I have "save copy in"ed several times. I have absolutely new copies of everything going back over a year. I have imported (and copied) every single track pertaining to these lost edits, tracks that should have Melodyne edits and also tracks that never were edited. ALL of them are not edited. That's how I'm confirming this, I'm null-testing everything with everything, and everything cancels out. This is incredibly infuriating since I'd spent SO much time editing in Melodyne ARA. The only things I had ever committed make up less than 10% of them all.

Any help anyone?
Please try on Pro Tools 2024.3. An important escalation Melodyne bug was fixed there. Here is the description, maybe you will find yourself in it.

Summary
ARA Edits disappear after filtering out ARAclips from Clips List
Description
By simply changing the display of the Clips list, sessions will start to (auto-)save without ARA data. This is by simply removing Audio and/or Auto-created from the Clip List view and saving the session.

N/B Pro Tools 2024.3 won't fix affected sessions saved (with filtered ARA clips from Clips List) in Pro Tools 2023.12 and earlier. But you won't lose ARA data because of this issue in the current health sessions anymore.