Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Ground Control Pro - initialize CC switches with patch settings?

I have another GCP issue. I have everything almost working perfectly. I use the 4 patches/8 CC setup - and each of the CC buttons are assigned to things like reverb on/off, delay on/off.

The problem is, when I switch patches, I would like those buttons to initialize with what the current patch is set to. Is this possible? I have a return MIDI cable, but not sure what else I might have to do.

In other words, here is the problem. I switched to patch A2 which has delay and reverb both turned on. My buttons for reverb and delay are off by default when I switched to this patch from the GCP. So, when I hit the reverb button once, it turns "on" reverb (which it already is), then I have to hit it again to turn off reverb. So the buttons/lights are not in sync with what the patch is really set to, so it makes turning things on and off really clumsy until all the buttons are in sync with what the patch is doing.

How can I have the Eleven Rack "send" the GCP the CC values of the patch, for the buttons that I have assigned?? Any ideas? thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Ground Control Pro - initialize CC switches with patch settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebin View Post
I have another GCP issue. I have everything almost working perfectly. I use the 4 patches/8 CC setup - and each of the CC buttons are assigned to things like reverb on/off, delay on/off.

The problem is, when I switch patches, I would like those buttons to initialize with what the current patch is set to. Is this possible? I have a return MIDI cable, but not sure what else I might have to do.

In other words, here is the problem. I switched to patch A2 which has delay and reverb both turned on. My buttons for reverb and delay are off by default when I switched to this patch from the GCP. So, when I hit the reverb button once, it turns "on" reverb (which it already is), then I have to hit it again to turn off reverb. So the buttons/lights are not in sync with what the patch is really set to, so it makes turning things on and off really clumsy until all the buttons are in sync with what the patch is doing.

How can I have the Eleven Rack "send" the GCP the CC values of the patch, for the buttons that I have assigned?? Any ideas? thanks
Yes this is possible. You will not need a second midi cable nor will the 11R be sending any information to the pedal. You will be pre-programming the pedal to have the respective lights on to match the rig that the button brings up.

See my post here: http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=108

It's a little extra work but once you master it, it's pretty easy and quick. In the end, it works exactly how you would want it to. When you switch to patch 2 with delay on, the pedal will also reflect delay being on. If you then click the "delay" button, delay will be turned off. If you switch to patch 3 where delay is also on, the delay will be turned on due to the patch change and the button on the pedal will also come back on because you pre-programmed button 3 to have that light turn on when accessed.

Try it out and let us know how things turn out.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Jerry,

I don't have a GCX, but I took the spirit of what you talked about in that other thread, and this worked - all of this is on the GCP, by the way:

STEP 1 - Go to the patch you want to modify, on the GCP.
STEP 2 - Go look on the Eleven Rack to see what's turned on (Fx1, FX2, delay, reverb, etc) and turn on those corresponding CC buttons on the GCP.
STEP 3 - On the GCP, hold down the Edit button (top right) to edit the current patch
STEP 4 - On the GCP, hit the Edit button again to exit edit mode, it prompts to "SAVE Y/N?" - choose yes.

That process saves which CC buttons were on, for that patch. So now, whenever you go back to that patch, it will automatically turn on the right CC buttons that saved previously.

I'm not in love with this idea because now that's yet another thing I have to manually sync between the Eleven Rack and the GCP (the patch names being the other). I guess I was hoping in the year 2010, that basic stuff like "hey, I just switched patches, here is a dump of all of the CC's that are turned on" and then the GCP could then turn on any of it's CC's that match the same control code.

Anyhow, my whining and hoping aside, this definitely works, and I honestly wouldn't have thought to try this. Thanks very much for the input!

-Drebin
Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebin View Post
Jerry,

I don't have a GCX, but I took the spirit of what you talked about in that other thread, and this worked - all of this is on the GCP, by the way:

STEP 1 - Go to the patch you want to modify, on the GCP.
STEP 2 - Go look on the Eleven Rack to see what's turned on (Fx1, FX2, delay, reverb, etc) and turn on those corresponding CC buttons on the GCP.
STEP 3 - On the GCP, hold down the Edit button (top right) to edit the current patch
STEP 4 - On the GCP, hit the Edit button again to exit edit mode, it prompts to "SAVE Y/N?" - choose yes.

That process saves which CC buttons were on, for that patch. So now, whenever you go back to that patch, it will automatically turn on the right CC buttons that saved previously.

I'm not in love with this idea because now that's yet another thing I have to manually sync between the Eleven Rack and the GCP (the patch names being the other). I guess I was hoping in the year 2010, that basic stuff like "hey, I just switched patches, here is a dump of all of the CC's that are turned on" and then the GCP could then turn on any of it's CC's that match the same control code.

Anyhow, my whining and hoping aside, this definitely works, and I honestly wouldn't have thought to try this. Thanks very much for the input!

-Drebin
Haha good job!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Haha good job!
I would suggest you are looking at this the wrong way. The Ground Control becomes the control of the rig (and fx on/off). Each program on GCP selects the rig, the fx on/off, the expression pedal assignments etc + any additional midi gear you may be using. Therefor fully controlling the 11. No sync issues. cheers