Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Ready to switch

Friends, this is the first time ever I have visited this forum (for three years I was staying on the Mac side). My present Digi 002 configuration with G4 867 does not provide enough power any more. From various reasons I am tired with Mac. And I came to a conclusion that there is probably no special reason why to stick to Apple, because present PCs can probably provide the same (if not more) speed and stability as any Apple - at much more reasonable cost. I am not ready to pay a fortune for the next Mac upgrade, because I do not see much real advantages.
So I am seriously considering a new super PC. I apologise for the questions that for sure appeared here 100 000 times, but íf you are patient with a newcomer who is not patient enough to browse through thousands threads, I would truly apprecciate, if you can tell me the following:

1) I suppose that Windows XP professional is the recommended platform for PTLE, am I right ?
2) Are P4 and AMD Athlon equal in speed and stability or one of them is preferred ? What about Xeon ?
3) Could double processor arrays be effectively used to increase DSP for PTLE ?
4) What is the usual number of say Waves plugins the most powerful Pentium can manage at 24 tracks session (including IR reverb etc.) ?
5) What amount of RAM would be recommended for the best performance ?
6) Since I move in 96 kHz sessions, I would go for the most powerful configuration available. Which would be that ?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Ivo
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Ready to switch

Quote:
Friends, this is the first time ever I have visited this forum (for three years I was staying on the Mac side). My present Digi 002 configuration with G4 867 does not provide enough power any more. From various reasons I am tired with Mac. And I came to a conclusion that there is probably no special reason why to stick to Apple, because present PCs can probably provide the same (if not more) speed and stability as any Apple - at much more reasonable cost. I am not ready to pay a fortune for the next Mac upgrade, because I do not see much real advantages.
So I am seriously considering a new super PC. I apologise for the questions that for sure appeared here 100 000 times, but íf you are patient with a newcomer who is not patient enough to browse through thousands threads, I would truly apprecciate, if you can tell me the following:

1) I suppose that Windows XP professional is the recommended platform for PTLE, am I right ?
2) Are P4 and AMD Athlon equal in speed and stability or one of them is preferred ? What about Xeon ?
3) Could double processor arrays be effectively used to increase DSP for PTLE ?
4) What is the usual number of say Waves plugins the most powerful Pentium can manage at 24 tracks session (including IR reverb etc.) ?
5) What amount of RAM would be recommended for the best performance ?
6) Since I move in 96 kHz sessions, I would go for the most powerful configuration available. Which would be that ?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Ivo
Hey Ivo,
My favorite configs are listed on the Best Desktop for PTLE thread above on the first post. That new Athlon 64 3400+ has been a winner so far and is definitely they way I'd be going here. I'd use double ram 2X 512 although you really only need 512MB.

Good luck Bro and welcome.

Allen
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Ready to switch

Let me be the first to say " Welcome to the Dark Side"