Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 01:12 PM

Default Midi records but doesn\'t playback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G4/466/OS9.1/digi001
Roland TD6 Vdrums kit
my session/problem:
I have midi track input set to TD6 ch.10
I have aux track inputs set to 3&4(where td6 analog outputs are recieved.
Midi in & outs are properly configured, Digi001 midi's in connected to Td6's out, Td6's out to digi001's midi in.
I can get midi activity to the track and audio to the aux track. I can record the midi data and see it on the midi track. I hear the aux track while recording, but when i hit playback there's no audio on the aux track. I can see the midi data is there and the level is active during playback but no sound on the aux. Please help I've been trying to get this to work for awhile now but, only half-heartdly now it's really starting to bug me. I want to record midi data and have my Td6 play it back. I also want to be able to pencil in midi data and have the Td6 play it. I want to ba able to write whole drum patterns in Protools with the pencil and then have the Td6 play them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.
P.S. Midi thru is enabled, I've also tried it with local control on the Td6 on and off.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 11-19-2002, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Midi records but doesn\'t playback

Do you have your MIDI track OUTPUT set to TD6 ch.10 as well? It sounds like your AUX track is recieving a signal from your TD6 stereo out's while you play, but the problem is that when you playback, there's either no MIDI going to the TD6, or the TD6 is not set to recieve the correct MIDI channel. Your path should go something like this: MIDI records INTO the ProTools MIDI track, sends MIDI OUT to the TD6, audio comes OUT of the TD6 (via stereo outs) and comes back INTO ProTools via an AUX or Stereo track.

1) So in your MIDI track, try setting the INPUT to ALL. Set the OUTPUT to the TD6 ch.10. I believe local control on the TD6 should be OFF if you are using ProTools MIDI data to trigger it.

2) Make sure your TD6 is set to revieve ch.10.

3) Connect audio outputs of the TD6 to stereo input of 001 (ie: 3&4).

4) Make SURE that the Monitor Mode button on the front of the 001 is NOT pressed in, if you are using inputs 3&4.

5) Create AUX track and set input to Digi 3&4 and output to you main outs. Make sure the slider in the AUX track is pulled up.

6) record-enable MIDI track and try recording something from your Vdrums.

You should now be able to hear Vdums during playback as long as MIDI thru is enabled. Now if this is how you had it already, then both of us are missing something. Don't worry about playing back drawn-in notes yet... just get it set so your TD6 is playing back ProTools recorded notes.

Let me know how it goes and I'll try help out more from there. To get more info on MIDI problems from the TD6, check out the forums at vdrums.com

good luck!
Old 11-19-2002, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Midi records but doesn\'t playback

awesome! I'm at work now, i'll try again tonight. Thanks for the help, that's great advice and great link. I'll post later, and let you know what happens. Scott
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator