Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 PM

Default Pro tools 12hd questions?? Transfer of ownership and upgrading??

Hey guys, so might be some dumb questions but have to ask since I'm running out of time.

If I do the 12hd upgrade, do I have to install instantly or can I keep running 10hd until I'm done with a couple projects (I know the take your old ilok licenses).

Does my year start when I purchase or when I activate/download 12?

What happens if I decide to sell my hd native card down the line, does pro tools 12 go with it or am I out the software and it doesn't transfer.

Is 12 been pretty stable? Running a 6 core Mac Pro 3.33 with 10.8.5

Thanks!

Last edited by Adupr; 12-22-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 12hd upgrade questions??

You can co-install 12 with 10. But be real careful about changing anything while you're in the middle of a project. In fact, don't.
12.3 HD on Win 7 has been fantastic here.
I think your year starts at date of purchase, but I could be mistaken.m
Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 PM

It's a mixed bag. If you upgrade, my understanding is that time starts ticking when you activate the software. Not sure what happens if you sell your hardware. I know that your hardware will be worth LESS if you keep the HD license. They do want to see the hardware if you are to keep HD software. But do you need it? It seems like 5.1 is the main feature these days...

12 has it's issues. I think 10 was a great version. If you don't need 64 bit. And if the VI's are not important. If you are using VEPro then that's a good thing, too for woking in 10.

I bought the software, because I'm in Pro Tools in a big way. I make money from it. I do have my eyes on the horizon and I do own Logic Pro X.

Steve
Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 PM

Look at it this way, you can upgrade, or you can buy yourself a 500 series mic pre-.

The mic pre-would be a better investment.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-17-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adupr View Post
Hey guys, so might be some dumb questions but have to ask since I'm running out of time.

If I do the 12hd upgrade, do I have to install instantly or can I keep running 10hd until I'm done with a couple projects (I know the take your old ilok licenses).

Does my year start when I purchase or when I activate/download 12?

What happens if I decide to sell my hd native card down the line, does pro tools 12 go with it or am I out the software and it doesn't transfer.

Is 12 been pretty stable? Running a 6 core Mac Pro 3.33 with 10.8.5

Thanks!
As you will get PT12, 11 and 10 HD with the upgrade you of course can finish your projects. You can either install only PT10HD on your system again or,
like mentioned by others before, you can co-install 10 and 12 HD on your system. Actually you will get one combi-license for PT12, 11 and 10HD with the
upgrade but you will receive separate installers of all 3 versions in your Avid account. So it will be up to you which version to download, install and run finally.

However you cannot "save time" as the year will be begin with the moment of activating your upgrade. Important to know, your software license for 12/11/10
will never expire as this will be a perpetual license you will own (for good)!
What will expire after this year will only be the update/upgrade-service (plan).
Fact is that theoretically you can even skip the update/upgrade plan after that year if you will not want to pay another annual fee. Your Pro Tools software will
continue to work for good without any limitations (as you actually own it). You just won´t receive updates/upgrades anymore.

As mentioned by the others already you can sell your cards separately but it will be worth less of course. The good thing for you personally will be that PT12HD
software now very well works with any native computer/interface system as well. Most of the plugins formerly available exclusively on HD DSP systems are available
and working on native computer/recording systems as well nowadays, incl. HEAT for example.

But again, as you will get all 3 versions of Pro Tools HD with the upgrade, 12, 11 and 10HD, you will not run into issues regarding your current productions.
You just can use PT10HD again as long as you need it and use PT12HD anytime in the future. The software (license for all 3 versions) you will own, so there will be
no expiration date for that. It´s only the update/upgrade plan which will expire after 1 year and which will have to be renewed to receive further updates.

Me personally have had no issues running PT12HD on a native system so far. Can´t complain at all. Anyway it seems to be kinda system dependent obviously.

If you ever consider using PT12+ in the future let me recommend to take advantage of the upgrade now because after 31st Dec 2015 it will be much more difficult
and a lot more expensive to get PT12HD (PT13HD etc) anyway.
Even if you keep using PT10HD for a certain amount of time you will have PT12HD in your account to download and use whenever you will be interested in it.
As mentioned before you will own it for good, your license never will expire.

Me personally think you never will get PT12 (and even future versions of it-given you pay for the upgrade plan in the future as well) for less money. Probably will be
much more expensive and much more complicated later.

The best of success to you whatever you decide to do finally.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:31 AM

Thanks guys.

I was just planning on buying because the price is gonna go up. I don't want to install anything until my current projects are done tho.

As far as selling, I maybe miscommunication. I was asking if I can sell the software with my native card if I decide to leave pro tools (tired of paying so much). Was just wondering if the software transfers or not?

How is 12 running for people on a Mac and what OS is everyone recommending?

Thanks again
Old 12-19-2015, 06:14 AM

Anyone have input as far as my last couple questions.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adupr View Post
Thanks guys.

I was just planning on buying because the price is gonna go up. I don't want to install anything until my current projects are done tho.

As far as selling, I maybe miscommunication. I was asking if I can sell the software with my native card if I decide to leave pro tools (tired of paying so much). Was just wondering if the software transfers or not?

How is 12 running for people on a Mac and what OS is everyone recommending?

Thanks again
Last time I looked at AVID's license transfer info, it said that any software under the support/upgrade plan is non-transferable. I called the licensing department a couple weeks ago and they said the only way to transfer PT 12 is to sell your entire account.

PT 10 and 11 are transferable if they are not covered by the support/update plan.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:44 PM

Are u serious!!!!!????

So I have to pay $599 for an upgrade of software that I can never sell???

Makes absolutely no sense to me. The value of my HD native card just takes a dump huh. I can see why so many complain about Avid.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:25 PM

This unfortunately is correct, and the reason why my HD Omni system stops at 11HD. I will look into possibly running 12 Vanilla and beyond on a separate 3rd-party interface.

After some back-and-forth with Avid, I received confirmation from their Customer Care team that upgrading the software component of a full HD Omni + PCIe system to 12HD effectively un-binds the software from the system. Because the updated software is not transferrable, it becomes basically impossible to sell the hardware to anyone not having access to a standalone legacy copy of HD software (e.g. from the CPTK days).

It makes no sense for Avid to treat HD software as anything but a component of a full system. A PT11HD-to-PT12HD software update should update the entire system from a licensing standpoint, and that system should remain sellable / transferrable.

Sky

Mac Studio M2 Max 12/30/64GB/4TB, RME UFX III, Pro Tools Ultimate, MacOS Ventura.