How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Pro Tools Express with M-Track Plus and ASIO 4all -can't get sound

Dell Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 2.25 Ram (2 GB usable), Windows 7 Starter, 32-bit
M-Audio M-Track Plus with Pro Tools Express.
My PC has a standard -SoundMax Intergrated Digital Audio

I have partitioned the hard drive with 150 GB and installed this version of Windows 7 from a disk, when I found out I could not use w/ my Windows XP. All of my other PC programs and files are on the main hard drive of 350 GB, their is also another smaller original hard drive of 60GB, that I don't use, with very old files. I have an external eBook with all my back-up files. (It is not connected to the PC at this time, but will be once I get this working properly.)

I installed all of the Pro Tools features, loaded in the included plug-ins, and tried to start a session with a template, so I could see what the sound was like. I could not get any sound, though the PT is showing the track playing, (the screen is fine and functioning.) This is a hardware issue. I updated all the drivers, per the website.

I had to download the additional Asio4all in order to get the PT to even open. I followed the instructions to change settings in the sound devices of this PC. I de-selected the exclusives. -All drivers are current and shown as enabled and operating correctly. (There is even a tone with doing a check.)

There is a problem in the hardware settings once in the Pro Tools program. The window for the audio allows the SoundMax to be selected, w/o "x s" indicating it is active, but it doesn't put out any sound, as the PT plays. When switching to the M-Track the "x s" appear indicating the device is unavailable. But if I close PT and change the device sound in the PC settings and reopen the 'x s' are gone, and the M-Track only shows "idle" But the PT doesn't respond to play at all.

I searched the net and read about the “MS GS Software Wavetable Synth”, interfering and could not find appropriate info to be sure I disabled it. I did completely disable the SoundMax leaving only the M-Track audio. But when I opened PT, the "x s" were back and there was no sound when playing.

I have speakers hooked to the M-Track and I tried the headphones as well, (together, separately, adjusting all volumes. The Headphones will humm with the highest volume crank, but it is clear the M-Track is not receiving or creating any sound.

I spent several hours on the phone with the dealer I purchased this from. He could not figure out what the solution is, how to fix it. We tried several of the above adjustments, and plenty of restarts of both PT and the PC itself.

I have not found a post with this exact issue. Some of those with the "...wave synth" issue had success when unclicking the exclusive boxes. I had already done that initially per the Asio4all instructions. I even tried making the M-Track exclusive, since it shows it enabled and operating properly in the device manager. When opening PT with this set-up, the play would not work at all and the hardware showed the "x s", indicating the M-Track was "unavailable".

I would really like to resolve this issue, and be able to hear and use the Pro Tools program through the M-Track audio box. I have been as thorough as I could stand and hope I've illustrated that I needed to with this process -I've been at this for quite some time now. All day and into the night.

Please respond and provide me with NEW and useful troubleshooting. I have retreaded the other obvious steps many times and with the dealer as well. He wanted me to bring the PC to the store. This is not possible, it is a large desktop in a corner desk unit,.. Very difficult to remove without several people to move the desk.

My PC is clean and this is a fresh install of Windows 7. It's an old processor and the RAM is upgraded to the max. I do not expect to do huge multi-track projects with this minimal computing power, but I am within the minimal requirements.

Thanks for reading and posting solutions.

N Rose
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Express with M-Track Plus and ASIO 4all -can't get sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirdi View Post
Dell Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 2.25 Ram (2 GB usable), Windows 7 Starter, 32-bit
M-Audio M-Track Plus with Pro Tools Express.
My PC has a standard -SoundMax Intergrated Digital Audio

I have partitioned the hard drive with 150 GB and installed this version of Windows 7 from a disk, when I found out I could not use w/ my Windows XP. All of my other PC programs and files are on the main hard drive of 350 GB, their is also another smaller original hard drive of 60GB, that I don't use, with very old files. I have an external eBook with all my back-up files. (It is not connected to the PC at this time, but will be once I get this working properly.)

I installed all of the Pro Tools features, loaded in the included plug-ins, and tried to start a session with a template, so I could see what the sound was like. I could not get any sound, though the PT is showing the track playing, (the screen is fine and functioning.) This is a hardware issue. I updated all the drivers, per the website.

I had to download the additional Asio4all in order to get the PT to even open. I followed the instructions to change settings in the sound devices of this PC. I de-selected the exclusives. -All drivers are current and shown as enabled and operating correctly. (There is even a tone with doing a check.)

There is a problem in the hardware settings once in the Pro Tools program. The window for the audio allows the SoundMax to be selected, w/o "x s" indicating it is active, but it doesn't put out any sound, as the PT plays. When switching to the M-Track the "x s" appear indicating the device is unavailable. But if I close PT and change the device sound in the PC settings and reopen the 'x s' are gone, and the M-Track only shows "idle" But the PT doesn't respond to play at all.

I searched the net and read about the “MS GS Software Wavetable Synth”, interfering and could not find appropriate info to be sure I disabled it. I did completely disable the SoundMax leaving only the M-Track audio. But when I opened PT, the "x s" were back and there was no sound when playing.

I have speakers hooked to the M-Track and I tried the headphones as well, (together, separately, adjusting all volumes. The Headphones will humm with the highest volume crank, but it is clear the M-Track is not receiving or creating any sound.

I spent several hours on the phone with the dealer I purchased this from. He could not figure out what the solution is, how to fix it. We tried several of the above adjustments, and plenty of restarts of both PT and the PC itself.

I have not found a post with this exact issue. Some of those with the "...wave synth" issue had success when unclicking the exclusive boxes. I had already done that initially per the Asio4all instructions. I even tried making the M-Track exclusive, since it shows it enabled and operating properly in the device manager. When opening PT with this set-up, the play would not work at all and the hardware showed the "x s", indicating the M-Track was "unavailable".

I would really like to resolve this issue, and be able to hear and use the Pro Tools program through the M-Track audio box. I have been as thorough as I could stand and hope I've illustrated that I needed to with this process -I've been at this for quite some time now. All day and into the night.

Please respond and provide me with NEW and useful troubleshooting. I have retreaded the other obvious steps many times and with the dealer as well. He wanted me to bring the PC to the store. This is not possible, it is a large desktop in a corner desk unit,.. Very difficult to remove without several people to move the desk.

My PC is clean and this is a fresh install of Windows 7. It's an old processor and the RAM is upgraded to the max. I do not expect to do huge multi-track projects with this minimal computing power, but I am within the minimal requirements.

Thanks for reading and posting solutions.

N Rose
Hi, I'd go back to before you ever installed ASIO4ALL because you shouldn't need it to open Pro Tools from what I can tell. Looks like you were able to open the demo session with your M-Track Plus and you got it to play, but had no sound.

I would uninstall ASIO4ALL and focus on getting the M-Track Plus working. Using ASIO4ALL is useful when trying to use your pc's integrated sound card to work as an interface - but you need to use the M-Track Plus as your interface.

Is the M-Track Plus showing up in Device Manager in Windows 7 with no warnings?? It will have to be recognized by Windows with no warnings in order for Pro Tools to recognize and use it as an interface.

How is your I/O set up - both in the I/O setup window and on your tracks? You might want to post some screen shots of your I/O setup and Mix Windows.

Also, make sure you do all the Windows 7 Optimizations here:

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

And if you're still having trouble, be sure to post a SANDRA report as described in the above link.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM