Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Default Upgrading to newer mac-PT compatibility?

I now have a imac running Pro Tools 8.0.1 on an mbox2 with Leopard. I am getting a new imac that comes with Snow Leopard/Intel Dual Core/ and will be re-installing Pro Tools & EZdrummer. Are there any compatibility issues that I will need to iron out? I read a thread that said I would need to update to PT 8.0.3 but that does not work with original mbox. Does that include mbox2?
Thanks for any advice!!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Upgrading to newer mac-PT compatibility?

Mbox 2 is fine. It's only the original Mbox, which came out in 2002 or something.

You'll want the newest PT update which is 8.0.4. I think it fixes compatibility with the new Imacs and Macbook Pros specifically. The main issue has centered around certain usb ports being better than others for plugging in the mbox 2.

As far as EZ Drummer, I'm not aware of any issues. Of course, you'll want to make sure you get the latest updates from the Toontrack website.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Hey,

I'm having a similar issue so thought I'd join this thread rather than create a new one. Hope that's alright!

I'm currently using a dinosaur system as follows:
Powerbook (PowerPC) mac (pre intel) using Pro Tools LE 7.4 with an original Mbox. I often connect Pro Tools with Reason 4 using ReWire and record a combination of digital and audio (using PT to house the audio files and midi note tracks). Unsurprisingly I have processer issues.

I'm looking to upgrade (finally!) and wanted to check that my PT LE 7.4 files with rewire links will be compatible with whatever PT LE 8.x version I upgrade to. I'm always slow at upgrading and the last time I did it from about PT LE 4 the files did not convert and had to set them all up manually (importing wav files and setting up plugins etc.).

I'm looking at getting a macbook pro (12 months old or less) and an Mbox 2.
Also, any suggestions about which OS X and PT LE version combination to upgrade to? I realise there's a lot of possible combinations, but if anyone has a passionate view (Leopard/Snow Leopard)...be great to hear.

Cheers!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM

I went from 7.3.1 to 8 and I didn't encounter any problems with my sessions or rewire.

As for operating systems, I think any issues with Snow Leopard have been worked out by now.

If you buy a used macbook that has Leopard you should be fine, but if you get a new one with Snow Leopard, you should also be okay.