Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Exclamation Good ol' Problems

Alright so when I first got Pro Tools 8 LEwith the Mbox mini everything was working great. Then after about a month or so I started getting these 6086 errors "increase H/W Buffer Size". Well it was only every now and then at first but now it has gotten to the point where it just constantly says it and you can't do anything. Then other times it will work just a little bit, then start messing up again. I've read that it is disk too slow errors and what not but I wasn't 100% sure. I just wanted to ask b4 I went out and replaced my hard drives. I've done PC wizard and it says they are healthy. But they aren't really new, I believe I've had em for 2 years. Both drives are Western Digital. But they are compatible. It was just weird that it was working fine and now I can't even play pieces that I had finished before without getting those same errors somewhere in it. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Good ol' Problems

Look in the General Troubleshooting sticky and post a SANDRA report so we can see exactly what's in your system.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 PM

Have you defragmented the drives recently?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Before you defrag, be sure you have a complete backup.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-08-2010, 02:13 AM

Same here...but I defrag every week so I don't see what the hell is going with PRO TOOLS BUGGY CODE...jeezz other DAWs dont do this..

I'm now getting a combination of this error and the CPU overload one, which is weird since everything will play fine for 10min at 10% cpu and then BAM.

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combos01 View Post
Alright so when I first got Pro Tools 8 LEwith the Mbox mini everything was working great. Then after about a month or so I started getting these 6086 errors "increase H/W Buffer Size". Well it was only every now and then at first but now it has gotten to the point where it just constantly says it and you can't do anything. Then other times it will work just a little bit, then start messing up again. I've read that it is disk too slow errors and what not but I wasn't 100% sure. I just wanted to ask b4 I went out and replaced my hard drives. I've done PC wizard and it says they are healthy. But they aren't really new, I believe I've had em for 2 years. Both drives are Western Digital. But they are compatible. It was just weird that it was working fine and now I can't even play pieces that I had finished before without getting those same errors somewhere in it. Any ideas?
I had the exact same problem Make sure your drives are 7200 rpm...because mine were older as well and 5400. This made all the difference and haven't seen that error again ONCE since then..
(knock on wood of course)
Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
Same here...but I defrag every week so I don't see what the hell is going with PRO TOOLS BUGGY CODE...jeezz other DAWs dont do this..

I'm now getting a combination of this error and the CPU overload one, which is weird since everything will play fine for 10min at 10% cpu and then BAM.
Interesting....you de-frag every week, and I almost never defrag(actually I never defrag an audio drive). If I feel the drive needs a tuneup, I will install a fresh drive and move session folders onto it, check them for proper function, and then delete the files from the original drive/partition.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Interesting....you de-frag every week, and I almost never defrag(actually I never defrag an audio drive). If I feel the drive needs a tuneup, I will install a fresh drive and move session folders onto it, check them for proper function, and then delete the files from the original drive/partition.
+1. Exactly. And the old audio drive becomes a new backup drive if it tests out. I have 5 months on my current working audio (WD Black) drive and no dfrag.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
+1. Exactly. And the old audio drive becomes a new backup drive if it tests out. I have 5 months on my current working audio (WD Black) drive and no dfrag.
Hmm really? I just defrag few hours ago.. ..I will try that then. I just do to ensure performance is kept.

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Ok so did defrag and things starting working really well again. So i thought that was the problem. Well I started a new project and everything was going smoothly, then as I continued to add more tracks, periodically that same error would come back "H/W Buffer Size". But I could still record or playback several times without it coming back. I still need more tracks but now I am up to 28 stereo tracks and it will no longer play the song at all. Every 1 to 5 seconds that error pops up. Now i know my hard drive speed is 7.200 rpm so its good. Could it be that my single core processor can't handle such a feat? Or is it my Ram, which is 2g but DDR 1033mhz or something. Im probably gonna need 35 to 40 tracks. Its also wierd that I can go back to older projects and they work. But the new one is the biggest and its done. Any ideas?