Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Urgent help, please ...

Finally (after 2 years on Mac) I brought home a new, specially design PC (P4 3GHz, 1024 MB RAM etc.). There are 3 discs: one system 80 GB and 2 SATA Seagate drives 160 GB. I installed PTLE 6.1, connected to Digi 002 rack, copied a session from FW disc to internal disc and opened. After opening a session I got a report: 198 audio files are on a drive not suitable for audio playback. Not possible to do anything. Why a proper SATA disc is not suitable for playback ? What shall I do ?? Thanks for an advice
Old 04-07-2004, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Urgent help, please ...

Did you set up the audio drives as Basic or Dynamic? PTLE will not record or read a disk if it has been set up as Dynamic. Your system drive can be Dynamic.

Chuck
Old 04-07-2004, 09:31 AM

Thanks. How can I simply check it or change it ?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 AM

By default it will be Basic, so if you did not change it I would say that is not your problem.

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Select Manage
3. Select Disk Management
4. Underneath your list of disks (Disk0 - usually system drive, Disk1, Disk2...) it should say either Basic or Dynamic

Chuck
Old 04-07-2004, 09:47 AM

Go to the control panel then open administrative tools then computer management then select disk management from the left pane. A list of your drives will appear and type will be displayed along with a bunch of other info. If it's dynamic right click on it and choose format. Reformat but be aware that ALL YOUR DATA ON THAT DRIVE WILL BE ERASED! So move any info off your drive before you do it. As far as choosing FAT32 or NTFS format different people will say different formats for PT but I've found it doesn't matter so go with the newer format which is NTFS.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:48 AM

oh, it says dynamic ! Only system drive is basic - and only that works for playback . How can I change the discs from dynamic to basic ?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Go to the control panel then open administrative tools then computer management then select disk management from the left pane. A list of your drives will appear and type will be displayed along with a bunch of other info. If it's dynamic right click on it and choose format. Reformat but be aware that ALL YOUR DATA ON THAT DRIVE WILL BE ERASED! So move any info off your drive before you do it. As far as choosing FAT32 or NTFS format different people will say different formats for PT but I've found it doesn't matter so go with the newer format which is NTFS.
I formatted the disc but it is dynamic again !! There was no choice as for that. HOW SHALL I CHANGE THE DISC FROM DYNAMIC TO BASIC ??
Old 04-07-2004, 11:51 AM

While in Disk Management, if you right click on the disk you should have the option to 'Convert to Basic Disk', which formats the disk so make sure you don't have any data on there you want to keep.

Are this disks mirrored? Or do you have it set up as RAID?

Chuck
Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 PM

Such option is not there. If I do right click in the disc management on the particular disc, the only options are: format (I already did), increase the volume, rename, properties, open, explore, remove, help. The discs are not mirrored, no raid.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 PM

There are two places you can right click in the drive table listing.
1. On the left where it says disk0, disk1...
2. On the right where it give you the drive info.

You want to right click on the left side of the table. Put your cursor where it says disk1 or which ever drive it is you want to covert. You should see an option to 'Convert to Basic Disk'.

Chuck