Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Can someone explain what the hell is happening ??

I have PT 6.2.2 on both G4 867 and PB 867 with Digi 002. I have 120 GB WD FW HDD which works just normally for both. Today I have recorded something on PB to the FW disc and then switched it to G4. I opened the session - all the tracks were blank and there was a report: 70 files are not on a volume suitable for playback, shall they be transferred to a suitable volume? If I pointed to the FW drive , there was immediately a report "this drive is not audio playback volume" (!) But it worked 5 minutes ago perfectly on PowerBook in exactly the same settings ! . What game is PT playing ?? No way to play the sessions from this disc on G4. PB has no problem.
Before I had the FW disc on G4 connected to the second FW plug - no way: buffer underrun. So I bought another PC FW card. Now it is not working at all - whether I put it there or there ...
Any idea ?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can someone explain what the hell is happenin

Hi,
Go to Windows > Show Workspace Window, make sure that your FireWire drive is flagged R for record instead of T for transfer. Make sure the drive is formatted HFS+ with the Apple Disk Utility.
Hope this helps,

Digidesign Tech Support
Old 02-26-2004, 02:28 PM

This disc is formatted as you say and it works with Digi 002 and PT6.2.2 - but at the moment only on PB . It worked on G4 all the time without any problem. I looked at the workspace Window. It does not show up there, although it is present on the Mac. It is a real mystery.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Avid

That is odd, try this, with Pro Tools quit trash the Digidesign Databases folders on the root of all your mounted volumes. Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences and trash DAE Prefs, DigiSetup.OSX, Pro Tools 6.x prefs, "com.digidesign.protools.plist" and "com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist". Then restart the CPU. Run the Apple Disk Utility and repair disk permissions on the drive. See if that gets it. What brand and model FireWire drive is this?

Let us know what happens,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 02-26-2004, 02:42 PM

It is Western Digital 120 GB FW drive working perfectly so far . I forgot to say I have OS X 10.3.1
I will try what you suggested. Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 02:57 PM

OK, I trashed all the preferences and restarted the computer. The disc started working again normally. What does it say ? Will it always happen like this if I use the disc in PowerBook and than connect it to G4 ??
Old 02-26-2004, 03:00 PM

I've had this problem when connecting a firewire drive after the system is started, restart the system with the drive powered up and attached, problem goes away.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:04 PM

Not exactly. Before I thrashed all the preferences I also restarted the computer with the disc connected to try to solve the problem - to no avail
Old 02-27-2004, 08:56 AM

Hmmm. Odd. Sorry!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Before I thrashed all the preferences I also restarted the computer with the disc connected to try to solve the problem - to no avail
Restarting before trashing preferences is useless, you have to trash then restart so new ones are created.

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz