Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2023, 03:50 PM

Default When will AVID ever solve all ADC related problems?

OK, I just 'have' to be the elephant in the room and ask this question, with a sticky going back to 2021, and we're 2023 now.

Will AVID ever solve all these ADC related problems?

What is so difficult about it? Their developers have no clue? Their product team has no idea about the real life scenarios? Incompetence at its best? Some of my reported bugs go back to 2017.. Why has no (proper) action been taken and are people still complaining about it in 2023 (nearly 2024 now)?

Why, AVID, why?
Old 11-18-2023, 10:27 AM

Default Re: When will AVID ever solve all ADC related problems?

What specific problems are you having with PT 2023.9? I admit to losing a lot of hair and having skyrocketed blood pressure due to ADC issues in past decades, but I don't think I've noticed any problems in the past couple years.

Is it a certain type of track? Certain plugins? How is it showing its ugly face?
Old 11-18-2023, 10:39 AM

Offline bounce is broken if you have any master faders with plugins on them along with any tracks with unequal amount of delay.

If you print the stems live into audio tracks everything is compensated correctly. If you offline bounce the stems and import into your session, all the stems are misaligned.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Offline bounce is broken if you have any master faders with plugins on them along with any tracks with unequal amount of delay.
That's a scenario I run into constantly but I'm not aware of any timing issues. I suppose I should look into it more closely now.

Are you using 2023.9? PC/Mac? OS? Avid hardware (Native of DSP?) or CoreAudio?

I'm just wondering where and how this issue is being introduced; why some might not have problems.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:

If you print the stems live into audio tracks everything is compensated correctly. If you offline bounce the stems and import into your session, all the stems are misaligned.
I don't have this issue if the plugins don't exceed max delay compensation.
Which can happen with master fader plugins in offline bounce and not online.

Yes, I think it is dumb offline has any kind of max for delay compensation, but this makes sense why it would happen. Printed 5 hours worth of music cues and all the stems are aligned in offline except the the full mix is not -- because of the added delay comp needed for the final routing.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I don't have this issue if the plugins don't exceed max delay compensation.
Which can happen with master fader plugins in offline bounce and not online.

Yes, I think it is dumb offline has any kind of max for delay compensation, but this makes sense why it would happen. Printed 5 hours worth of music cues and all the stems are aligned in offline except the the full mix is not -- because of the added delay comp needed for the final routing.
Perhaps. But there’s no indication at all of if delay compensation has reached max before offline bouncing.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. But there’s no indication at all of if delay compensation has reached max before offline bouncing.
Put your master fader plugins on an aux before an audio print channel and see.
Master fader tracks aren’t delay comp’d by design (as end points)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Put your master fader plugins on an aux before an audio print channel and see.
Master fader tracks aren’t delay comp’d by design (as end points)
Thanks for the suggestion. Making the Auxes works as expected. This all worked fine prior to 2023.3. Even if the Masters aren’t comp’d that doesn’t mean stems should be misaligned when offline bouncing. And it’s not even that the audio is late for some stems. Instead, it’s actually early. It’s a major bug.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:09 AM

I stopped using master faders years ago for this reason. Aux tracks the only way to go.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I stopped using master faders years ago for this reason. Aux tracks the only way to go.
That’s fine as a workaround, but it’s not complete solution for something that should just work correctly. I don’t like using Auxes because it requires creating additional busses. You need both an in and an out. Also, the insert is Pre Fader so any fader adjustment you need to make on the output signal will not have the benefits of whatever plug-in you have on that Aux.

The bug just needs to be fixed.