Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-19-2023, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Playback stopping when ..

A colleague of mine found a hint at the Pro Tools installation website I oversaw...
They seem to know about the bug:
"Ventura + Monterey - System Sound can cause streaming errors. To avoid, turn off “Play user interface sound effects” in the “Alert and Sound Effects” section of System Settings. This will not turn off all 3rd party application notifications, and so it is also advised to go into each application settings/preferences and turn off notification sounds to avoid this issue. For example, go to Outlook’s preferences, “Notifications and Sounds” and uncheck the “sounds” item.
Outlook notification sounds preferences window"
It´s on: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...2-Release-Info
Old 01-19-2023, 06:47 AM

That's a very clever workaround
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 01-23-2023, 06:32 PM

too clever! love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftWW View Post
I found a little workaround so that my main desktop bridge interface keeps playing audio flawlessly ...
In Ventura there is an Accessibility setting where you can generate relaxation sounds. I put it on uniform noise (translated) and dimmed it completely (no sound at all) but it keeps the interface active
Old 01-30-2023, 07:59 AM

The new Ventura 13.2 update arrived and made the issue a little more unobtrusive.
When using more than 512 samples buffer in the Pro Tools playback engine the break is almost inaudible. Just sometimes it halts for a sec or two when a new audio interface is activated or deactivated in the background.
Normally I can record on 64 samples ... I always like to be more latency free during voice recordings.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:20 AM

Ive run into the same problem as well testing Ventura 13.1 and 13.2 on a Mac Pro 2019 with Protools 2022.10 and then again on 2022.12. It's definitely the operating system sound request taking audio priority over the other audio drivers. Easily reproduced by playing a track in protools then going to system preferences sound panel and changing an alert volume.

This problem was introduced by Apple so I think we'll have to make enough noise for Apple to correct it in a system update.

Has anyone tested this yet on an M1 or M2 running the Silicon beta?
Old 01-31-2023, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwongsound View Post
Ive run into the same problem as well testing Ventura 13.1 and 13.2 on a Mac Pro 2019 with Protools 2022.10 and then again on 2022.12. It's definitely the operating system sound request taking audio priority over the other audio drivers. Easily reproduced by playing a track in protools then going to system preferences sound panel and changing an alert volume.

This problem was introduced by Apple so I think we'll have to make enough noise for Apple to correct it in a system update.

Has anyone tested this yet on an M1 or M2 running the Silicon beta?
I can just tell that I have a M1 MacBook Pro and there is the same issue running the new mac silicone based beta on Monterey and even when you use the regular "Rosetta2" Pro Tools App the stutter in activating interfaces is there.
Prior to Monterey it was all fine
Old 01-31-2023, 06:14 AM

Yes, that definitely seems to be the case. It's not affecting just Pro Tools either. I've seen odd behaviour with sys sounds affecting Logic too.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 02-01-2023, 08:37 PM

This is annoying as hell. Even if you have everything turned off, it will do it. So it's the sound itself.
So it's definitely the call to the error (mwongsound mentioned earlier), not the playback itself.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:55 PM

I've just spent some time on the phone with Apple and have had this raised to engineering, so will hopefully get an update on this in the next few days.
Will update, when I know more.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:07 AM

I´m going back to Big Sur now. I erased the HDD , done a fresh install of the OS and now reinsert my time machine backup. That OS was more stable...