Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Darn it I just love Pro Tools 12 SO MUCH - a bit of an essay!

Ok I will admit posts like that get me a bit worried. I have also just spent time reading just SO much negativity at gearslutz about avid and pro tools itself. I shouldn't let those things get to my head but they are sort of creeping in.. People are saying more or less that avid is finished.

I really do not want to spend so much time learning every aspect of pt if people think this really may happen. And converting projects from other daws and stuff... It's a lot of work!

Are people here worried about avid going under or is that just typical forum hate talk?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:42 AM

I have to agree about the Gearslutz negativity. According to posters there, Avid were finished ten years ago. There is a lot of the typical forum hate talk over there as well, and a lot of ignorance. Not just about Avid and PT. It extends to just about any piece of audio gear.
If you feel that PT is the right DAW for you, go for it.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 AM

yeah, don't listen to all the noise on the www! dive into the music, learn the protools shortcuts and go with the flow!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 07:22 PM

Ten years? The sky has been falling for more like twenty! I just wish they could make it easier to learn about what all Avid does.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 AM

Thanks Bob and everyone. You guys are right, and it seems that GS especially.. wow that place is a negative force when it comes to PT. I just exasperated myself over a troll, and really I should have ignored him. Learned my lesson. I would rather be here with people that USE the software and support it and understand it's strengths rather than those who just spend all day trashing it.

I will say, on a personal note I don't like how Avid laid off long time staff and the boss in the same year got more than a million dollars worth of pay increase.. that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but ultimately I am here to use and talk about my favourite daw, which is now PT, and every single company on the planet does things that many of us little guys don't agree with (nor really know the true, total picture about it anyway).

Peace. PT is here to stay. I will be positive :)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 PM

I got hooked on Pro Tools in college. Before that I was a Cakewalk and Samplitude user among others and before that digital tape machines and reel to reels. I love the many different ways you can choose and create how you want to work. Complete recall within the DAW is a major plus with me over the old ways of working with previous technologies. I sold all my older Avid Blue gear and TDM hardware awhile back and went with HDX and the newer HD I/O's and would not go back. Whether it was the hardware or 64 bit architecture and AAX DSP plugins or 32 bit floating point or whatever it was I don't know but I definitely notice an improvement over TDM as far as sound quality and clarity of the music and mixes. Whatever anyone out there says about lack of AAX DSP plugins there are plenty out there that will do the job. They are costly for the better ones but they are out there. I have too much study time diving into the depths of this program and too much money invested to sell for pennies on the dollar so it's here I'll stay. I just have to stay with a workable version and at this point that is 12.4. If Avid doesn't fix the issues I will never renew and give them another penny but I will never switch to another DAW. I'll just camp out on the version that works best for me.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 PM

Default Darn it I just love Pro Tools 12 SO MUCH - a bit of an essay!

I started on Sound Designer for Emulator and Akai samplers...

Used/owned most variations including running DP as front end with 442s.

Stopped using DP long ago!(although still using ABL9 once in a while).

Ah GS, that place used to be ok before the introduction of PT HD...

Darryl Ramm