Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Aggregate I/O. When you add a second interface, do you get a second MIDI I/F as well?

Hi guys, happy mixing to everyone.

My setup is: Pro Tools 12.5, MOTU 828x thunderbolt, iMac Late 2013, MacOS 10.10.2
Need 8 more audio inputs.
I’m thinking about a preowned FireWire Audio/MIDI interface (say Focusrite Saffire Pro 40) with a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter.
The question is - when I add a new Audio/MIDI interface to Aggregate I/O do I get 1 more MIDI interface in my Pro Tools? Or just 8 more audio inputs?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Aggregate I/O. When you add a second interface, do you get a second MIDI I/F as w

The MIDI stuff is separate from audio. You get another MIDI controller to play with and do whatever you want, or nothing.

But what are you trying to do? Are you really running out of MIDI device connectivity?

On the aggregate audio side, be very careful this may not work reliably. Avid officially only supports aggregating a Mac Built-In Output with an interface, not aggregating two interfaces. Some vendors like Motu work well with Aggregate, other vendors it's all over the place. Hoping to aggregate a Motu and Focusirte interface, I would never waste my time even trying (I'd just use ADAT/SMUX)

The "proper" way to do this is

1. Come into your MOTU via ADAT/SMUX, there is no end of converters/preamps with ADAT/SMUX output.

or 2. buy another Motu interface that Motu support says should aggregate OK.

or 3. buy a larger or expandable interface (like some chainable Thunderbolt interfaces like the UAD Apollo or Apogee Ensemble... Motu seemed to miss doing that with only a single Thunderbolt 2 port on the 828x, not sure if Motu support Thunderbolt chaining across two different Thunderbolt physical chains with the 828x I suspect not (that is different than aggregate IO) , or you can go Pro Tools Ultimate with Digilink interfaces.

Remember you are always limited to 32x32 IO without going Pro Tools Ultimate with Digilink interfaces.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Aggregate I/O. When you add a second interface, do you get a second MIDI I/F as w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
On the aggregate audio side, be very careful this may not work reliably.
Thank you so much!

Right now I need 8 more audio inputs and at least 1 more MIDI port. (I have 3 synth units without MIDI Thru. MOTU 828 has 1 MIDI port. Also I use a simple 1-in 1-out MIDI to USB I/F for monotimbral sounds).

So my idea was to aggregate a second FireWire Audio/Midi interface to get 8 more audio inputs and 1 MIDI.

The second (and more expensive) option was to add MOTU 8pre via optical connection (no MIDI in this case I suppose), plus buy MOTU micro lite USB MIDI ($130).

Or try to aggregate MOTU 8pre via FireWire-Thunerbolt adapter ($40) in the hope that Pro Tools will recognize Motu 8pre’s MIDI port.

So I think I'll stick to the MOTU option, less pita I hope.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM

I would look for an ADAT/SMUX box. The way to get better help here is say what your budget is and any needs. What sample rate do you work at... that sets limits for ADAT.

And if looking at ADAT boxes you can get just a pre-amp to ADAT out or get a fully functional interface that supports running stand-alone with ADAT out. and have that to also use as a stand alone interface. The Safire Pro 40 is actually an example there but it only supports a single ADAT out port and 8 IO at slower clock rates.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.