Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Dual Core V Dual Processor Support

I was just reading the dual core support thread in the PTLE windows forum which lead me to this statement by Digi for the last NAB.(I'd link it but I don't know how.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro Tools Dual-Core Technology Preview
In the Avid Developer Community Booth, Digidesign will preview a build of Pro Tools that supports Multi-Core Hyper-Threading. Running on the latest Intel Pentium D Processor based Windows XP workstations, this version of Pro Tools delivers significant performance boosts, allowing users to run more simultaneous real-time host-based plug-ins and conduct a range of other audio processing tasks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was under the impression that Dual Core is effectively no different to Dual processors from a software perspective, so does this statement mean we will soon see the same improvement on Dual processor Powermacs? In PTLE 7 I assume.

Sorry if I'm a little late to the party. Just thought this might resolve some of the angst I've been reading on this issue including my own.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Dual Core V Dual Processor Support

Wouldn't that be fantastic. Seems a shame that a whole whopping processor is going unused by an application. Since Apple are switching to Intel processors by the end of next year, maybe Digi will look ahead & just continue developing the PC based 'dual core'. Just a hunch. It's hard to know what to buy these days without having a crystal ball!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Dual Core V Dual Processor Support

Noooo. I hope that's not the case!

I just assumed that the demonstration was to indicate that Protools would soon be multi-threaded on both platforms regardless of the machine it was shown to be running on. After all, the dual core Pentium D is the latest whiz bang thing, it's a logical choice for a demo. Wouldn't have the same, 'look what great new things we've got coming to use the latest tech. . .', effect to demonstrate it on a machine that's effectively had the same thing for YEARS now. However, if they can pre-announce & even demonstrate multi-threaded support for dual core p.c's within such a short time of the Pentium D's arrival, it makes you wonder why there seems to be silence from Digi regarding the same upcoming use of dp macs. Maybe they don't want to spoil the surprise after all this time waiting!