Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Why Are We Paying For 20 Years of Unimpressive Innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
You raise a good point Barry. There is a third option, and that is to "hold fast" and keep what you have now, which is a working TDM system. By the way, where is Jimmy these days?
"Holding fast" somewhere.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Hard to sell institutions on this, even though students are upgrading around us for free.
As I figure it, skipping a few versions will knock this up even higher thus successfully omitting it from university settings. (Good for the Trade Schools however)

I sarcastically like the Marketplace menu except my publisher is not in it.

PS. The WUP profile would have been better (Cap at $200.00).

Last edited by DetroitT; 10-24-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: PS
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
PS. The WUP profile would have been better (Cap at $200.00).
Touche.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Barry - read this interview. It might change your mind...

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/pro-t...-Scott-Freiman
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Barry - read this interview. It might change your mind...

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/pro-t...-Scott-Freiman
Wow! Once I stripped out all the exclamation points! it looks like PTX is...catching up to Logic in some areas!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM

eh, once I stripped out all the exclaimation points it felt like I was reading the PT Ref Guide for Version 7.4. Not much new here. Just a lot of "hollow" improvements, like Export to iTunes and Soundcloud and Multiple Audiosuite Windows open simultaneously.

Avid Marketplace? How unoriginal. Why didn't they just call it the Avid App Store? Rent Plugins? That's not new, that's been going on since Ver 7. And so on and so forth...

And hey, they still DID NOT change how midi regions work in PT. They just changed their "name" from Midi Regions to Midi Clips. Bravo guys! I'll still have to go in and fix all the midi controller data every time I punch in. Thanks!

Oh and they idiot-proofed the mix bus now. Dumbing it down for the novice user. Has headroom every really been a problem for anyone that actually knows what they are doing? So all the effort spent to code 32bit audio file support into the software was to dumb it down to Logic and Cubase level for people that don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to audio processing, recording and gain staging. Nice work Avid! way to cater to the bottom feeders!

But in reality, these are the only types of things Avid CAN add to the software. They no longer have proprietary software engineers creating solutions for sound engineers. They have outsourced their software development to a third party company that also writes programs like Skype, etc. So all of these "Features" are not ground breaking. They are taken right out of "text books" so to say, because that's all these guys can do. Third party software developers don't create, they maintain. There really won't be any substantially "new" features for a while because it will take years for the skeleton crew of inhouse developers at Avid to "invent" truly new technologies and features that will be useful to the industry.

In the meantime, all the third party developer can do is homogenize PT to make it just like every other piece of software out there, incorporating as much public domain code as they can find and ultimately killing Avid's market-share. But hey, I guess the execs think the short term gains from overhead reduction are worth the long term demise of the software.

That is why the upgrade is so expensive. They have to cash in on it now while they still can. Eventually PT will be assimilated into Media Composer anyway.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
eh, once I stripped out all the exclaimation points it felt like I was reading the PT Ref Guide for Version 7.4. Not much new here. Just a lot of "hollow" improvements, like Export to iTunes and Soundcloud and Multiple Audiosuite Windows open simultaneously.

Avid Marketplace? How unoriginal. Why didn't they just call it the Avid App Store? Rent Plugins? That's not new, that's been going on since Ver 7. And so on and so forth...

And hey, they still DID NOT change how midi regions work in PT. They just changed their "name" from Midi Regions to Midi Clips. Bravo guys! I'll still have to go in and fix all the midi controller data every time I punch in. Thanks!

Oh and they idiot-proofed the mix bus now. Dumbing it down for the novice user. Has headroom every really been a problem for anyone that actually knows what they are doing? So all the effort spent to code 32bit audio file support into the software was to dumb it down to Logic and Cubase level for people that don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to audio processing, recording and gain staging. Nice work Avid! way to cater to the bottom feeders!

But in reality, these are the only types of things Avid CAN add to the software. They no longer have proprietary software engineers creating solutions for sound engineers. They have outsourced their software development to a third party company that also writes programs like Skype, etc. So all of these "Features" are not ground breaking. They are taken right out of "text books" so to say, because that's all these guys can do. Third party software developers don't create, they maintain. There really won't be any substantially "new" features for a while because it will take years for the skeleton crew of inhouse developers at Avid to "invent" truly new technologies and features that will be useful to the industry.

In the meantime, all the third party developer can do is homogenize PT to make it just like every other piece of software out there, incorporating as much public domain code as they can find and ultimately killing Avid's market-share. But hey, I guess the execs think the short term gains from overhead reduction are worth the long term demise of the software.

That is why the upgrade is so expensive. They have to cash in on it now while they still can. Eventually PT will be assimilated into Media Composer anyway.
Hi,

DITTO

Ever since the 10 announcement i've been in shock, not knowing what to say exactly.

Not long ago paid $350 for PT8 HD to PT9 HD that had virtually nothing for HD users. only one massive bug with plugin mapping that makes PT crash every time i try to use it, PLus another $250 for my home laptop setup. Now $1000 for a few features, most of which other Daw's have had for years.

8 years since i crossed over to PT full time from Logic and i've always bought every update immediately Not now though.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

I almost pee'd myself listening to this prospective PT 10 buyer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNwajutxDM
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM

I agree there is no compelling reason to pay out any more money to Avid at this point. I am locking my TDM 3 Pro Tools 8 system and getting back to work.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
I agree there is no compelling reason to pay out any more money to Avid at this point. I am locking my TDM 3 Pro Tools 8 system and getting back to work.
I concur. No compelling reason to upgrade. PT8HD will be retained in my studio for as long as necessary before I feel it is hazardous to my wealth.