Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HDX with current (old?) PCIe or PCI-X cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
So long as its ones I dont care about :) .. i do happen to have trashed a bunch of plugs from past incarnations - Prosoniq Orange (Dist by Digi at the the time) Lexiverb, MDT - fortunately I have forgotten and I survived ...

i think this time tho it will require keeping me the current TDM system in tact for a year or two after I get HDX for recalls ... it will be interesting to see what gets dropped.

A
It will also be interesting to see what gets added

One of the only plugin bundles I really want is Eventides Anthology but its TDM only. If they port that to AAX I will be a very happy camper. Presumably HEAT can or will make that trip too. Which will be a boon for sessions interchange and recall.

One benefit thus far not mentioned is that if all plugs share the same API's and compatibilities the prices should drop after time. It will be interesting to see how Waves handles this for Mercury owners.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM

Man, I have so many questions, don't know where to start.

I'm an HD3 User. I'm guessing that the HDX is PCI-e?

So, I'm guessing that a full blown out session on an HD3 now, the HDX will have no problem running since it's 5x faster.

How many HDX cards can you run at the same time?
From the video it says 3. Is that it?

I'm so confused of the track count. So, on a 44.1/48k session you get a total of 768 total? So, how much for 96k? Half of that would be 384. Is this true? If so, do I need 3 HDX cards?

How much for an HDX 3? What would we be looking at?

I'm excited but, very confused so, that kind of takes some of the excitement away.

Is it worth it? Yes, if the trade in's makes since.
Would I do it? Yes, same as above.
I traded in my Mix Plus 6 years ago and was very happy.
If they come with a deal that is undeniable, I really do think they could corner the market.
The only thing that could mess them up is being greedy at such an incredible point.

Now, if I upgrade? What will happen with my TDM plugins? Can I exchange them for equivalents?
Is there an upgrade fee?
I just bought some TDM's from Waves.
Also, I just bought Heat, will that just transfer over if I get a new system?

Good but, shaky times...

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
THANKYOU so much for that answer DigiTechSupt. I hope backwards support in this way is a priority.

So its quite possible that a complex mix session I am working on today will open fully intact in 18 months time on my new HDX system as long as the equivalent AAX plugin versions are available. Hopefully the sonics will be really close - or even better. This support is so key to me in trusting AVID and taking the plunge.

This is also the reason i like to stick with the established plug makers (Waves, McDSP, Soundtoys etc ..and of course Digi/AVID) Hopefully they will all migrate in a reasonable timeframe. Actually their migration will be awaited before making the move....

Please Digi/AVID move all the stuff you distribute - not just your own - to AAX also (Drawmer, Aphex, BF, etc ..)

So now I am excited to get to this transition. i will start saving ..

Ainslie
I've put in bold the 'conditional' here - if there is no AAX equivalent, the plug-in will need to have an RTAS equivalent to open. If you have sessions with a lot of TDM only plug-ins, I would recommend thinking about printing those - dry, with and w/o effects - so that you have at least some kind of recall should you make the jump to HDX.

While we have many developers on board, I know many people still using plug-ins from companies that discontinued development on TDM plug-ins, or the entire plug-in itself, quite awhile ago without making an RTAS equivalent.

We're making an effort to get as many developers on the 'AAX train' as possible and make it easy for them to do so. One good thing about AAX is that developing for 'native' and DSP versions is MUCH easier than it was for TDM vs. RTAS.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
Looks like Being an HD2 PT9 user going to HD PT10 I get a bump up to 256 voices according to the FAQ. That's a plus for me as long as all my TDM and RTAS stuff still works.
Careful, my understanding is that you DON'T get increased voices with TDM systems, or delay comp, or the floating point engine!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCHUNTER View Post
Careful, my understanding is that you DON'T get increased voices with TDM systems, or delay comp, or the floating point engine!
I think you are right.
When booting up PT 10HD it will check which system you are on HD or HDX and then use the proper mix engine. TDM means 48bit fixed point with max PDC @4096.
I am actually pretty comfortable with that.
My TDM system will live for a couple of years more !
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I've put in bold the 'conditional' here - if there is no AAX equivalent, the plug-in will need to have an RTAS equivalent to open. If you have sessions with a lot of TDM only plug-ins, I would recommend thinking about printing those - dry, with and w/o effects - so that you have at least some kind of recall should you make the jump to HDX.

While we have many developers on board, I know many people still using plug-ins from companies that discontinued development on TDM plug-ins, or the entire plug-in itself, quite awhile ago without making an RTAS equivalent.

We're making an effort to get as many developers on the 'AAX train' as possible and make it easy for them to do so. One good thing about AAX is that developing for 'native' and DSP versions is MUCH easier than it was for TDM vs. RTAS.
DTS - please clarify: you have stated that RTAS plugs will work when using an HDX HD system under PT 10. Will RTAS plugs still work under PT 11 running as a 64 bit application?

I think many people were concerned with the TDM only plug-ins potentially not getting ported over to AAX, but if RTAS won't run much longer, this could be an even bigger issue.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM

RTAS cannot and will not be ported to 64bit, so once PT is 64 bit, TDM and RTAS will be gone. That's my understanding.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 PM

How about the 2000 pound gorilla in the room; will Avid port it's own TDM only Avid owned plugins, such as Drawmer, to AAXX?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I've put in bold the 'conditional' here - if there is no AAX equivalent, the plug-in will need to have an RTAS equivalent to open.
I understand that we can't mix TDM and AAX (DSP). But just to be clear, on a current TDM rig under PT 10, will it be possible to mix TDM and AAX Native - or only TDM and RTAS?

Further to that, will it be possible to mix RTAS and AAX Native, in other words, to have 3 kinds of plugs operating on a TDM rig (TDM, RTAS plus AAX Native) and/or 2 kinds (RTAS and AAX Native) on a Native rig?

Finally, just to be really pedantic, under PT10 will it be possible to run RTAS and AAX Native versions of the same plugin ... if ever you would want to (!!).