Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 AM

Default Protools 10 and convertor quality

Assuming this comes with Protools 11, but does anyone know if this would work with my existing Protools 10? Not all of my plugins have been ported to AAX yet. Same question for the Apogee versions that don't come with Protools. Do those work with Protools 10? Also a hardware question. Are these convertors on par with Apogee Symphony quality, or more along the lines of the Apogee Ensemble? Thanks.

Last edited by kidbazooka; 11-12-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Protools 10 and convertor quality

Anytime you get a license for PT11, it comes with 10 as well. This is regardless of if it's bundled with hardware, or bought standalone, or even bought used from someone else.

Since that means it's technically bundled with 10, it should work fine, since they wouldn't bundle something that doesn't work with the product.

The existing Apogee versions are also compatible with 10 and 11.

Note that since you'd be getting 10 with the purchase, you could sell your existing license for 10.

As for conversion quality, these are exactly the same as the regular Apogee ones. Technically, that means they are better than the old Ensemble and Duet, but slightly below the new Ensemble 2, and definitely below the Symphony.

There have been many reviews of the existing Duet and Quartet, and those should tell you what you need to know.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Protools 10 and convertor quality

Won´t find any device below $2500.- sounding better than the Quartet IMO. Got an exceptional sound quality.

Had an 003R before and checked lots of gear before buying the (silver) Quartet, also talked to experienced,
successful engineers then about what to get best in this price range who definitly told me that the Quartet
would offer better sound quality than even much more expensive gear...and actually they were right.
Have never looked back and even bought a Duet for mobile applications later because of my really positive
Quartet sound experience.

Might not be the right stuff if looking for many I/Os or wide versatility in general but it´s the ultimate choice
if looking for pristine audio quality within a limited budget.
Very convenient, logical and simple to use too by it´s simple yet intelligent hardware design.

So highly recommended sound quality-wise just from a really positive personal experience (and engineers who
had lots of chart success and knew what they were talking about...obviously)!

For the silver Apogee-version of the Quartet drivers are available for Mac OS 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.8.x, 10.9.x
and a brand new one for Yosemite 10.10., so there
should be absolutely no problem to use it with PT10...works flawlessly with Yosemite and PT11.2.1 too here btw.

All the best!

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active,
Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.