Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Default UA Apollo Duo into Mixer (for PA)

Is there a way to connect the Apollo Duo into my Mackie VLZ-PRO Mixer so I can output the PT processed tracks through my PA? I'm unfamiliar about where in the signal chain the line outputs are. My only other output option would be either of the two headphone jacks. Are the monitor outs an option for what I wanna do? I'd assume not, but that's why I'm on here asking!

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Default Re: UA Apollo Duo into Mixer (for PA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Is there a way to connect the Apollo Duo into my Mackie VLZ-PRO Mixer so I can output the PT processed tracks through my PA? I'm unfamiliar about where in the signal chain the line outputs are. My only other output option would be either of the two headphone jacks. Are the monitor outs an option for what I wanna do? I'd assume not, but that's why I'm on here asking!

Thanks,
Adam
To be clear you have an Apollo (1u rack interface?) or Apollo Twin (desktop interface). The Duo part == DSP configuration is irrelevant.

What are you trying to achieve artistically/why? "output the PT processed tracks through my PA" does not tell us that/let us suggest how best to do what you really are trying to achieve.

The monitor outputs are exactly what you should be using, well at least to get started with. You can also use any other line outputs you want to assign to whatever output path you want to set up in Pro Tools (or the UAD Console). If that is not making sense to you you need to start with the Pro Tools reference Guide or a book like Pro Tools 101.

If you really don't need the Pro Tools software output and want UAD plugin effects, or especially live monitoring for talent then avoid Pro Tools all together and drive that off the low-latency Apollo Console (or even better directly off the live console i that will work for what you need--simplest is best). All well explained in the UAD Console documentation. UAD also have lots of getting started videos etc. Tracking live in pro Tools is one thing, pushing to then need that Pro Tools output for the live performance is uh another. And if you are just playing back prerecorded material, consider doing that outside of a DAW.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-26-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
To be clear you have an Apollo (1u rack interface?) or Apollo Twin (desktop interface). The Duo part == DSP configuration is irrelevant.

What are you trying to achieve artistically/why? "output the PT processed tracks through my PA" does not tell us that/let us suggest how best to do what you really are trying to achieve.

The monitor outputs are exactly what you should be using, well at least to get started with. You can also use any other line outputs you want to assign to whatever output path you want to set up in Pro Tools (or the UAD Console). If that is not making sense to you you need to start with the Pro Tools reference Guide or a book like Pro Tools 101.

If you really don't need the Pro Tools software output and want UAD plugin effects, or especially live monitoring for talent then avoid Pro Tools all together and drive that off the low-latency Apollo Console (or even better directly off the live console i that will work for what you need--simplest is best). All well explained in the UAD Console documentation. UAD also have lots of getting started videos etc. Tracking live in pro Tools is one thing, pushing to then need that Pro Tools output for the live performance is uh another. And if you are just playing back prerecorded material, consider doing that outside of a DAW.
I have the Apollo Duo rackmount unit. I'd be using it for playing live, most likely for some vocal fx (I don't have any hardware FX units to connect via the mixer). So I can just use the UA Console software for that; I'm not trying out output a PT recording. I can plug the line outs on the Apollo to one of the line input channels on the mixer, right? Could I also
use the monitor out into the mixer's line level channel input too? I'll have to double check the manual as well.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I have the Apollo Duo rackmount unit. I'd be using it for playing live, most likely for some vocal fx (I don't have any hardware FX units to connect via the mixer). So I can just use the UA Console software for that; I'm not trying out output a PT recording.
Forget Pro Tools, read the UAD documentation and work out how to use the UAD Console. It works stand-alone so you can even set it up and then not need a computer to drive it. You might be better off however with a dedicated FX unit or FX features in a more capable live mixer...

Quote:
I can plug the line outs on the Apollo to one of the line input channels on the mixer, right? Could I also
use the monitor out into the mixer's line level channel input too? I'll have to double check the manual as well.
I'm not sure what you are asking. You take line level outputs on the Apollo, with output signals on them from whatever signal-routing/processing that you set up in the Console. And you connect those to line level inputs on your mixer. The monitor output is a line-level out. You seriously need to read some documentation and get a basic understanding going here. Then sit down and just *play* with stuff. Get a single microphone or keyboard or whatever. working on the Apollo, direct to a monitor or pair of monitors, then add in effects in the console, connect the outboard mixer between the Apollo and monitors. Route the mic from the Mixer Start simple. Get stuff working. Understand it. Do one step at a time.

You don't say what model mixer you have, how you get a mic signal into stuff to start with is something you'll need to work out. So read that Mackie manual as well. They include helpful circuit diagrams in their documentation. You might want to use an insert on the mic channel on the mixer if it has one. But that will only get you a mono return. Especially if you want to do more like have a stereo return from the Apollo you will need to set up more complex connections back to the mixer, read the Mackie manual about aux sends and stereo returns.