Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 AM

Default Best Video Solution for Pro Tools

I was wondering what is the best video solution to use for my studio's Pro Tools setup. Right now we have PT LE 7.4.2 installed, with plans to upgrade to version 8, as well as upgrade to Pro Tools|HD. Please keep this in mind.
The workstation that we are using are the Mac Pros (Second Gen, Pre Nehalem). This system will need to hook up to two video monitors. Here are some options that I have came up with.

1. Canopus ADC-110
Actually have this system already. There is one output on it. Most likely need a distributor on it. The only real flaw is that I have to convert and transcode videos in a Quicktime DV format. If anyone has a suggestion on software, let me know.

2. Avid Mojo SDI
A popular choice. I have heard this has problem reading some Quicktime formats, and that it sould be converted to Quicktime DV25 file.

3. Avid Mojo DX
The new kid on the block with powerful hardware. A very expensive option for just outputing video from PT, and may be overkill.

4. Blackmagic Design Decklink SDI, Decklink Extreme HD, Intensity
A very cost efficent desicion. Has HDMI on the latter two cards, which allow for HD monitoring. Downfall is that there will be a less card slot when upgrading to PT|HD.

5. Video Satellite option.
Requires a Windows-based Computer with either a LE system, Blackmagic Design card, or Avid Video Interface installed. Needs Avid Media Composer 3.1. Researching this as a option and might be the best for my setup. What is the best configuration for this? Please let me know. I don't know how much it cost for the regular Video Satellite. I know the LE option is about $300.

All ideas are welcome. Please let me know what is your setup and please give me some advice on the best way to go about this. Thank you.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by M-ManLA; 06-09-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Added text.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Best Video Solution for Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
I was wondering what is the best video solution to use for my studio's Pro Tools setup. Right now we have PT LE 7.4.2 installed, with plans to upgrade to version 8, as well as upgrade to Pro Tools|HD. Please keep this in mind.
The workstation that we are using are the Mac Pros (Second Gen, Pre Nehalem). This system will need to hook up to two video monitors. Here are some options that I have came up with.

1. Canopus ADC-110
Actually have this system already. There is one output on it. Most likely need a distributor on it. The only real flaw is that I have to convert and transcode videos in a Quicktime DV format. If anyone has a suggestion on software, let me know.

2. Avid Mojo SDI
A popular choice. I have heard this has problem reading some Quicktime formats, and that it sould be converted to Quicktime DV25 file.

3. Avid Mojo DX
The new kid on the block with powerful hardware. A very expensive option for just outputing video from PT, and may be overkill.

4. Blackmagic Design Decklink SDI, Decklink Extreme HD, Intensity
A very cost efficent desicion. Has HDMI on the latter two cards, which allow for HD monitoring. Downfall is that there will be a less card slot when upgrading to PT|HD.

5. Video Satellite option.
Requires a Windows-based Computer with either a LE system, Blackmagic Design card, or Avid Video Interface installed. Needs Avid Media Composer 3.1. Researching this as a option and might be the best for my setup. What is the best configuration for this? Please let me know. I don't know how much it cost for the regular Video Satellite. I know the LE option is about $300.

All ideas are welcome. Please let me know what is your setup and please give me some advice on the best way to go about this. Thank you.

Kind of depends on what type of work you do. We work mainly on commercials - so no longer than 60". This means converting to dv is neither a time nor a storage problem. We have Canopus boxes in each studio connected to distributers to get it into the recording room and several televisions in the studios.

Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post
Kind of depends on what type of work you do. We work mainly on commercials - so no longer than 60". This means converting to dv is neither a time nor a storage problem. We have Canopus boxes in each studio connected to distributers to get it into the recording room and several televisions in the studios.

Hope this helps,
Timothy

Thank you. Anyone else?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 AM

The black magic cards are certainly a great solution.

If you're worried about losing a slot on the computer - consider an expansion chassis to house the HD cards. You can then also expand your system beyond HD3.

As for the satellite option, it costs (in the UK at least) around 4 times more. So I guess it'd be roughly $1200 US.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
The black magic cards are certainly a great solution.

If you're worried about losing a slot on the computer - consider an expansion chassis to house the HD cards. You can then also expand your system beyond HD3.

As for the satellite option, it costs (in the UK at least) around 4 times more. So I guess it'd be roughly $1200 US.
That is True. I can get that then put everything in one system.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:

1. Canopus ADC-110
Canopus is quick and easy so long as you use the Apple DV codec. Best way to convert? Buy the upgrade to Quicktime pro.
Its sync is OK, but you will need to calibrate the video offset in Protools to make sure audio and video are tight together.
Any other option is a lot more money I think....

Peter
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 AM

My solution is to have both a Canopus with S-Video connection and a Video Satellite LE with a DVI to HDMI connection. They compliment each other in sometimes surprising ways.

For example, sometimes the VSLE looks really blocky and I have to zoom in on the video monitor. In those cases the Canopus looks noticeably better. h.264 looks really good on the VSLE, while higher defs can look choppy.

In my current film, all the Quicktimes are DVCPRO PAL, and my Canopus can't output PAL. Most editors are working off small computer monitors, but I'm using the Video Satellite on my 40" Sony Bravia.

On complex sessions I like having the VSLE to take the load off the main computer. VSLE lets you watch the picture during a bounce, but you need picture in your main session if you plan to bounce to Quicktime.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 AM

We also work mainly on commercials and the Canopus does the job very well. Working with DV can be a pain on longer material, but on the short stuff it does the job. The outputs are routed to VDA's for distribution to the TV's in the control rooms and booths. Everything also goes to the machine room video patch, where we can route it to any studio or VTR/editing station. A pretty stable setup (the Canopus may need to be rebooted once a month or so to correct a connection loss) and cheap enough that we can have a few spares in case one of the interfaces goes belly-up. I've had one die out of 12 in active use over 4 years. That's pretty stable.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The workstation that we are using are the Mac Pros (Second Gen, Pre Nehalem). This system will need to hook up to two video monitors..
Why look further? Your MacPro is already capable of outputting to two displays. I guess it depends on where you get your picture; I'm running transcoded Avid 1080p picture (transcoded to DVCproHD 720p until Avid fixes the Quicktime Codec) on a 37" 1080p display (DVI to HDMI) as well as driving a 26" LCD for PT timeline display. I've got a second video card driving two additional LCDs for mix and digibase displays. It's worked flawlessly since PT6.4.2 on my first gen MacPro and PTHD2.(Currently holding at 7.4.2, though that works fine in PT8 as well).

John
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 PM

if you're going to be working in HD (which most people will be in the near future) your choices are a bit narrowed down